Modern Thumbshifters

I ran the Pauls Thumbies w/ 9spd Dura Ace BarCon set up and didn't like it.

The throw is almost 180* degrees. Classic thumbshifters feel better to me.

Just my Yank $.02

The people who couldn't get it to work - 8 speed?

Dura-Ace Integrated8 used a different pull ratio thing to any other Shimano indexing system. If you're running 8-speed get hold of some non Dura-Ace shifters and it will work.

Cannock Chase Red Route

Sorry MonsterFatUK, I don't know how to do the MONSTERFATUK Said box, but to answer your question.. There are several set routes all running from Swinnerton's bike hut at the Chase Visitor's Centre. The red route is the difficult one and is quite good as there are signs on each way marker explaining that this is a dedicated MTB trail and other users should find another trail! The route is sponsered by Gary Fisher and is well maintained. The route has a fair amount (at least 40%) of technical single track running over bumps though the trees. You see the odd non-retro rider (they do exist apparently) with his 48 inch riser bars hanging over tree branches when he didn't fit through the gap. There's a short raised board section and several bermed downhills as well as a fast rutted downhill stretch. Most of the climbs are on wider trails but do tend to have loose stoney surfaces. Go have a go! I might even attempt to get my unhealthy carcass round it again. PS Thanks all for your replies!![/quote]

^^^

Just press the quote button in top right of of the dialogue box for the person you wish to quote! Wahey!

the thumbies in the picture are from forge motorsport in cheltenham, and are to be avoided. they no longer make them as the chappie who used to machine them no longer works for them. the alloy they used to produce them was as hard as cheese, and only had a single bolt holding them together so were very easy to do up too tight, rendering them useless. lets all stick with pauls which look sleek, but seem indestructable, even though they dont match up too well with hope mini levers....

kanerdog1x1":30p3cssy said:
the thumbies in the picture are from forge motorsport in cheltenham, and are to be avoided. they no longer make them as the chappie who used to machine them no longer works for them. the alloy they used to produce them was as hard as cheese, and only had a single bolt holding them together so were very easy to do up too tight, rendering them useless. lets all stick with pauls which look sleek, but seem indestructable, even though they dont match up too well with hope mini levers....
Thanks i hadn't noticed that they weren't pauls brackets. Whats this about 'hope mini levers?? Thats new to me

I have the SJS ones on my Karate Monkey and they're excellent. The mounts need a little filing to get the shifters to mount properly ( it's monkey-see-monkey-do easy ) and as well as the mounts you're buying a boxed set of Dura Ace bar end shifters including cables and outer. QUITE a bargain! They work better than the old thumbies ( I've LOADS of thumshifter spannering/bodging experience ) and, quite bizarrely, look more retro than DX or XT thumbs and still retain the friction option.

Back