The Slippery Slope

P20

Retrobike Rider
It all started when i bought a part-exed knackered Stumpjumper for a cheap winter hack. Cost me about £70 :D . Put v-brakes on to it, used it for the winter night rides, to protect the Ritchey and Klein.
Then i had it resprayed as the paint was tatty and rebuilt as a singlespeed, as further winter proofing. Used mainly the existing parts and bits lying around to rebuilt it. Then came the Pace rigid carbons and new front wheel so i could use my old XC4 disc brake.
Gil_M sold me his Bonty with disc mounts and Pace RC36 forks, so sold the Stumpy built up the Bonty for winter use. Managed to find a Syncros post and stem for it, a RaceFace turbine crank and square bb. Ordered some Pace rigid carbons for it. The fully rigid, all disc singlespeed Bonty is ideal for what i want.
Then spotted the Bonty Ti for sale in the classifieds :twisted: No disc mounts, but the ideal size, do i start again? Built it with v-brakes, which means new wheels or have a disc mount added?
Thankfully its been sold, so its been taken out of my hands. Mixed emotions on that one, would have been lovely to have, but this is essentially my winter hack :oops:

So from a £70 partex, to very nice Bonty. Its a very slippery slope.
Who else has done this kind of thing? I know i won't be the only one :LOL:

:oops: bought one Trimble 'to save money on getting too work' Few weeks later bought anther for weekends/off road only.
Then few weeks later saw anther Trimble and what with a pay rise i bought it. now very little money left, got to move home plus deal with a divorce. Who said men couldn't mult task :LOL:

slippery slope

I would think half the people on here have done this. at least you didnt go down the weight route! i bought a zaskar for a single conversion you know cheap cake shop hack. only when i stripped it realised how light the frame was, 3.6 for a 19 inch. yes you guessed six months later a couple of grand and an almost unridable, off road anyway 16 pound rig was mine. Thats slippery. never weigh anything is my mantra from here on in.cheers, skint of cornwall.

I keep looking down the slope but luckily riding my bikes prevents me from tipping over it.

Where I ride is very tough on bikes and bits so I need to go for robust and in a way "sacrificial" parts. It's all XT and reliable components for me, and this stops me from worrying what my bikes look like or how light they are.

But I like to look so keep up the good work all you garage queenies ;)

messiah":2jhiyhd8 said:

If read in a certain way that sounds very dubious indeed!

And yes, it all is a very slippery slope indeed - I get everything up and running well, all the bikes I could ever need/want and then spy a shiny bit or sweet frame and that's it. And it's not even as if I am an XTR person or super rare frame guy but I can still be tempted by one part or other that I don't need and can barely afford - expect a big parts clearout soon!

quote="ededwards"]
messiah":229zhf27 said:

If read in a certain way that sounds very dubious indeed!

lol: :LOL: :LOL: I was in the 'Queens' infantry regiment along time age

Back