Fred Whitton 2010 - 'race' report

Excellent Ed, congrats on getting round. I saw some pics in the current CTC magazine and said to myself - 'I ain't doin' that!!'

BTW, there's a shorter - but still hilly - Retro hilly event in Lancashire next April. There was a report on this year's in Cycling Weakly a couple of weeks ago so it's been diarised for next year.

Great report Ed, and thanks for the mention. I'll definitely be going for a pre-race burger at the Dragon Ride next month.

I am afraid i was riding a modern Boardman aluminium thing so i feel a bit of a cheat comparing times with you and your pal. There were some other bonkers bikes around though:

4596578272_2727511a64.jpg

finbar":29ajb4o1 said:
Great report Ed, and thanks for the mention. I'll definitely be going for a pre-race burger at the Dragon Ride next month.

I am afraid i was riding a modern Boardman aluminium thing so i feel a bit of a cheat comparing times with you and your pal. There were some other bonkers bikes around though:

I wouldn't have fancied doing the descents on that!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Like the sox and baggies!

finbar":3k4054vs said:

I think I know who's bike that is :)

pigman":3mtjsx12 said:
What was your bottom gear? Was it under/over geared?

I went with 34x32 which was certainly low enough although with the slipping chain it meant that I mostly rode seated to avoid the possibility of groin-stem interface incidents. Interestingly very few people had triples and I think there were a number who rode with 39x25 or similar who are either very fit, have knees of iron or both.

I've just remembered that one thing that struck me on Sunday was how noisy modern carbon frames are - there seemed to be a constant clattering although I'm not sure if that's from the frame, the deep section wheels or a combination. Regardless, it shattered the quiet solitude afforded to a man stoically suffering surrounded by stunning scenery.

Great stuff Ed , Sounds pretty Epic :cool:

Looking forward to what you have in store for us in July !! :cool:

ededwards":1m9kw12m said:
pigman":1m9kw12m said:
I've just remembered that one thing that struck me on Sunday was how noisy modern carbon frames are - there seemed to be a constant clattering although I'm not sure if that's from the frame, the deep section wheels or a combination. Regardless, it shattered the quiet solitude afforded to a man stoically suffering surrounded by stunning scenery.

This is something that sounds weird to me as well, especially when watching road races on rough roads, the bikes all 'clunk' and 'thud' on the bumps whereas, when I were a lad, they went 'ping' and 'twang' in a more subtle kind of way :D

Back