1997 Proflex Animal now built up

tinkerer

Dirt Disciple
I have been riding my Proflex (see attachment) for about two weeks now and it has exceeded expectations: it handles really well downhill but is light enough to pedal easily uphill with no bobbing. My build is not completely retro but it is enough for me to see why people like these bikes and at about £130 total for the frames and forks I can't complain.

One problem I have not yet solved is how to attach a front mech: I bought a conventional Shimano LX bottom pull but find there is not enough room for it to fit on the seat tube between the BB and swing arm. Do I need an e-type mounted front mech? Any tips from you Proflex gurus would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Proflex animal 1997.JPG
    Proflex animal 1997.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 2,504
Good job - well done.

My 857 which has similar set up but with carbon swingarm uses a standard top swing front mech.

Here is a photo of my Beast with a topswing also. (i no longer have this one)

cheers - give us a shout if you have any other questions.

bikemay2006031largeve7.jpg

took a bit of doing I can tell you! Still have the rear swingarm lying around as I sourced a carbon one as a replacement (a useful tip - they are inter-compatible - straight swap).

My mate's got the frame now and he's built up a decent bike out of it.

here it is recently. More recently even, he's fitted a rear disc brake adapter to it.

sept06tomarch07130largeyb3.jpg

I can't believe how hot it looks with the polished finish on the Beast. I was about to list my 5000 to trade it away...is it hard to strip the fork?

orange71":1epqo2tq said:
Good job - well done.

My 857 which has similar set up but with carbon swingarm uses a standard top swing front mech.

Here is a photo of my Beast with a topswing also. (i no longer have this one)

cheers - give us a shout if you have any other questions.

bikemay2006031largeve7.jpg

The fork was already like that, but the principle's the same - I wouldn't have thought it was too hard. I used paint stripper first, then fine wire wool to finish off on the frame itelf. You can see I hadn't quite finished the strut at that point.

Only snag is when you sweat on it, it oxidizes, but this is easily wiped off with a bit more wire wool. I guess you could get round it with a coating of lacquer but there is the risk of oxidation under the lacquer...

here's another picture. What's really cool is (though you can't see it in this picture) is when you take the paint off, the tubes all have the Easton diamond shape stamped finely into them with an E in it about 1 inch in size.

bikemay2006028mediumke1.jpg

Back