English thread pedal tap - Leeds?

Mowgli

Old School Hero
Does anyone know somewhere in Leeds to get a crank arm re-tapped? Sort of thing an LBS would have? On the non-drive side the pedal goes in half way then gets very stiff. It's not the pedal itself, as I've tried a few different ones. I guess there must be some crud in the crank.

Cheers

Gareth

Based on my experiences of bike shops when I lived in Leeds, Woodrup's (Kirkstall Road near the Vue cinema), Bob Jackson's (near Bramley station) or Chevin Cycles (Otley town centre) are all pretty good and a decent bet for sorting it out. Unless you have any contacts in the field of engineering who might have the appropriate tap (9/16 inch, 20threads per inch, left-hand thread).

David

Bargain! I'd forgotten about them, never used the shop much though as they didn't seem to offer much in the way of out & out road stuff.

David

No not much good for parts (or bikes for that matter), but good for getting stuff done on the spot. Edinburgh bike co-op wanted me to book it in and wait a week! Would have taken longer to make the booking than actually run the tap through it :roll:

Two suggestions: www.tracytools.com - they stock every tap and die known to western civilisation. And prob cheaper and quicker than trying to buy one through the bike trade. Then you'll have it for next time too!

Another tip for cleaning an iffy thread if you've got a spare scrap left hand pedal is to grind two or three flutes down the thread to create a tap and wind it in gently, backing it off every half turn or so to clear it. Use some lube while you're doing it.

Have fun.

EDIT - just read the thread properly and realised you're sorted. Nevermind - Tracy Tools well worth knowing about anyway.

G

Back