My Vitus ZX-1

PIGEON

Retro Guru
Thought to let you all meet my favourite bike, a Vitus ZX-1. Less than a thousend made and arguably the first carbon monocoque, but as with most major innovations in cycling there's more than one company claiming to be the first.. I bought this bike about a year ago now and verry little has been changed on the bike. I fitted a nicer looking stem and seatpost, an Elite bottle cage that's almost the same colour as the frame and changed the SLR saddle for a more comfortable one (which unfortunately doesn't look half as good but I just don't seem to get along with the SLR). Finally I recently fitted a pair of Skeleton brake calipers which I could get for cheap. Still debating whether they're out of place, as they are the only modern component on the bike, but they do look good. The bike is built with predominantly Campagnolo Athena components, with Record cranks and Chorus brake calipers.
The bike fits me like a glove and is faaaast!

Pictures (before the changes I've made):

vts11.jpg

vts22.jpg

vts33.jpg

vts55.jpg

vts44.jpg

Enjoy!

Very eye-catching, looks very fast...except...those pedals...you have fitted clipless?

Anyway, excellent photography. Got any up-to-date shots?

That is lovely! I remember a Peugeot branded one hanging in my LBS for a while with a price far beyond my reach! I thought they were multi part frames though, not a true monocoque like, say, the Kestrel 4000 from 86.

Thanks for the kind words fellas :)

It's a semi-monocoque yes that's true, I didn't know Kestrel already did a full monocoque way back then! I've seen a Peugeot branded ZX-1 in a catalogue with Mavic 3G wheels, I wish I had the cash for a pair of those! Although I thinks the Zondas look quite allright on there too ;)

Back