Chilterns Red Kite Ride 3rd May - some pictures

Wheelnut

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Not a huge turnout from this forum (just one RBer joined us - does no-one actually ride their bikes on this forum except for me and Monty Dog?) but here are some pictures to show what you were missing.

We had nine riders and covered around 45 miles on a rural route of mainly single-track roads. Although the numbers were small, the quality of the bikes was superb.

Of particular note was the 1954 Mercian Vincitore. This was built for Dave Keeler, the phenomenally successful long distance rider and Lands End to John O Groats record breaker. It now belongs to Peter Underwood who runs the Classic Lightweights website. We also had a couple of Hetchins including an ultra-rare 1986 Scorpion Bonum with hellenic stays. Another very special machine was the 1936 Jack Sibbitt, thought to date from the 1930s. Jack Sibbitt was one of the most successful track riders of that era. My personal favourite was the lovely 1983 Gios Aerodynamic belonging to Monty Dog from this forum.

Here's the list of bikes:

1936 Jack Sibbit
1948 Rudge 531
1954 Mercian Vincitore (ex-Dave Keeler)
1956 Bates BAR
1964 Pennine Richmond
1969 Hetchins Magnum Bonum (curly stays)
1982 Ken Ryall
1983 Gios Aerodynamic
1986 Hetchins Hellenic Scorpion Bonum

Would like to have seen more faces and bikes from Retrobike - maybe next time.

Attachments

• RedKw1.jpg
    RedKw1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,027
  • RedKw2.jpg
    RedKw2.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 1,027
  • RedKw3.jpg
    RedKw3.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,027
  • RedKw4.jpg
    RedKw4.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,027
Glad to hear you managed the ride but it is a bit disappointing only one RB'er. I'm sure plenty of bikes get ridden - mine do - but maybe not in the Henley area.

I like the Hellenic Hetchins, not seen one in use before. Also nice to see Patricia's Pennine built up. She collected it from respraying at Chris Marshall's in Keighley the weekend of our Classic Display. I took my Dave Russell there this week.

The last I heard (which was a couple of years ago) Dave Keeler was still riding as a contact of mine had seen him out in the sunshine.

Keep trying with the rides, you never know, I might make it one day!

Some nice looking bikes you had turn out there.

If you have an event why not contact myself or one of the others involved in the events side of the site. In that way we might have publicised it a little more. With the best will in the world I cannot ready each and every thread on here....

As for riding a bike, never do it, don't believe in it.

Wheelnut":1p9oladv said:
does no-one actually ride their bikes on this forum .

Indeed we do, eg had a grand day out on the clubrun to watch the lincoln GP yesterday. For me, it would be a toss up between riding from home to join my mates for a morning out, with all the banter and occasional competitive ding-dongs or sitting in a car for hours, incurring travel expenses and doing a shortish ride with fellow retrobikers, who on a personal level i know little about. Not saying retrobikers arent a friendly bunch, but occasional meetings wouldnt really be able to hold the sorta crass banter we engage in. So 99 times out of a hundred, the club run will win.
(plus I'm a more of a retrobiker for practical purposes aka old stuff durability and price levels rather than the aesthetic collectible concours aspects).
One day, I guess I'll turn out for a RB event.

Back