NE&YORKS Noggin and Natter

Some good constuctive ideas there. I have spoken to John today to suggest a review on the Area Group System- is it working?, are some areas to large geographically?

I don't think AEC's can be set up for every county though, although maybe we could start seperate mini areas within this one and each one has a ringleader. Maybe then we could have co-operation and avoid clashes and those people can then work together to pull the Area Group together. The big worry for me with that system is a fragmentation- too many small groups with different agendas.

Our section looks to be divided into the following..

Nothumberland/Tyneside
North Yorkshire
East Yorkshire
South Yorkshire

Now the Nothumberland and North Yorkshire folk have a good relationship and tend to make most of the rides with a few exceptions.

If we could get the South and East Yorkshire sections working together as a mini group perhaps we could make some progress?

This would split the area into two more managable zones without fragmenting things too much. It would also take the pressure off a sole AEC too. We would still be NE&Yorks but local meets and events might be more attractive being planned nearer home and on days that suit (the whole sat/sun thing is a nightmare)

The question is- if these sub sections are formed would the Humbersiders make an effort to ride with the Sheffield/South Yorkshire members? and would the Northumbrians make more effort to attend events in Yorkshire and vice versa?

Our Neighbours over in the NWA have sub groups for the North West and North Wales- would you like to see a similar arrangement over here?

We could have...
Northumbria- the ancient Kingdom that ran from the Borders through Northumberland, Tyneside and the North Yorkshire area.

The Ridings- Humberside, South, East and west Yorkshire.

Each zone could have its own AEC, chat section and local rides but spend a little more time co-operating and putting on joint events every 2 or 3 months.

Just a few thoughts. What do you think? If you think it can work and agree to put in some effort i will put it forward to John. I will even stay on as the Northumbria AEC rather than leave this place in the lurch. Who do you suggest as an AEC for The Ridings area?

Sounds like the perfect solution :D

Me, Ben and the North Lincs lads can certainly become more involved with the South Yorkshire members, Sheffield is only a 40 minute drive for me.

Every so often a main area ride could be arranged so all the sub areas could get together.

chrisv40":1oezhtud said:
Sounds like the perfect solution :D

Me, Ben and the North Lincs lads can certainly become more involved with the South Yorkshire members, Sheffield is only a 40 minute drive for me.

Every so often a main area ride could be arranged so all the sub areas could get together.

Good. So if we should get the go-ahead from central command do you think you guys could make a go of it? Would you be willing to head up that section?
We would have to make some changes but i don't think it would take too much work. We would also need to make sure there is plenty of dialogue between the two groups to prevent the fragmentation and also to pledge support to the main National Status Events that we have been allocated dates for- The Big Weekender and the Appetite Seminar for this year. The later can be moved from the Lake District to a more mutually convenient location?

I'm sure we can make a go of it, as it currnetly stands we have a regular fortnightly ride with the North Lincs group and I see no reason why the South Yorks group cant become involved with us too.

Most of Dave's rides are within a stones throw of the M180 which is not too far from Sheffield and we can can travel to there area too.

I am more than willing to give it a go if everyone else approves?

I will change the current South Yorkshire thread to 'Ridings' then and the NE&Yorks to 'Northumbria' and sticky them. We will give it a few weeks to see how it pans out. Make the most of it!

Chris, if your locals approve your nomination to AEC I will contact john and make arrangements- this will give you access to the area Calendar etc. Until then could you give me a list of rides you are planning and I will add them to the calendar.

thanks again for your imput. Lets hope this is a bright new future for this area. ;)

Cheers Si ;)

Confirmed rides to date are:

23rd May - Dalby.

6th June -Sherwood Pines.

Unconfirmed and either between Dalby and Sherwood or after Sherwood we have a fairly big ride to organise through Chris (Longun) around the Scunthorpe area.

Sherwood and Scunthorpe will hopefully be local enough for the Sheffield lads :D

After that I am going to arrange another ride round my local area of the Wolds.

Good stuff. Just a reminder to keep an eye on the NE&Yorks section Calendar to avoid clashes. Dates submitted are now added to that calendar- if we get the go-ahead with the restructure from John you will be able to access the calendar soon and make amendments yourself.

Until then..
DALBY http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101330

SHERWOOD PINES http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100669

I'm going to try and get down to Dalby and we can have a little chat about how we want the section to work and work on a structure to support each areas events.

Your new 'Ridings' Chat and Rides thread is ready and stickied here

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99853

Sadly Si has decided to hand over the AEC reigns for the time being. Might I be first to thank him for all hios hard work. His efforts and ideas have been one of the driving forces behind the entire Area Groups setup.

Obviously from this thread there has been some discussion regarding this region, in particular regarding the size.

I'm going to mull this over and try and start a constructive thread over the next couple fo days. I nthe meantime if anyone has any thoughts please drop me a PM.

Evening neighbours, thought i'd drop you line about our ride on Saturday August 28th at Whinlatter Trail Centre, near Keswick. I know a few of your members took a trip over to Lakes earlier in the year and had a great time, so thought you might be interested in this.

Details can be found >>>HERE<<<, hope you can make it.

Back