'97 Kona Cindercone hotrod - Now with paint and decals!

Is my build retro enough?

• Yes. Were nearly in 2010 ffs!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Well its kinda retro modernised...

• NO

• Its somewhere in between mate but still very cool ;)

• Total voters
mikesnowdon":a04gs4n8 said:
But they haven't (yet), which is the point, and the wheel has already been with them for 2 weeks. I'ts no big deal though :?
The way I see it - crappy job that isn't up to standards - some kind of reduction in price.

Delay with an apology (so long as it's not a really long delay) is fair game.

HI mike , just wondering are you still going to take the frame to Keep powdercoating im looking to get a cindercone frame done as well , have you used them before ? or have they been recomended to you ? .

Hello godders and welcome to retrobike :)

Yep, still going to use Keep down in Uckfield. I have a job down there in the next couple of weeks so I can drop the frame off then.

I knew about the company through a friend who has his products painted there. The price Ive been quoted for just the frame is very good and the communications with them have been excellent so far. Hope the finish lives up to that standard - I feel confident it will do.

What Cindercone frame do you have and where are you based? (PM me if you want)

Dropped the frame and fork lowers off at Keep powdercoating today. They know their stuff and are familiar with bike frames and magnesium items. I'm going for 'Traffic White' (RAL9016) on both frame and forks. Looking at it against white hammerite makes the hammerite look beige! Its very white :cool: Paint will be 2PK as it looks a bit nicer than powder, weighs less, and is just as tough.

They were very professional and keen to do a really great job for me and it's only costing £60.

Meanwhile,

Still no sign of my front wheel :cry:

I've been in to Future cycles at least once every week to see whats going on and the guy in there is doing his best and very apologetic. He's having trouble getting a replacement XM317 Disc rim. So he;s ordered it from 2 possible sources who say they can supply it and its still listed on Mavic's site. They are still in production. I told him if the worst comes to the worst to use a XC 717 disc but he tells me this costs twice as much as the XM317. They look very similar in shape but the XC is lighter. To be honest as its taken so long already I think if we go the XC717 route that he should swallow the extra cost. After all he did lose my rim I provided in the first place.

I like the guy and he's doing his best so I'm not angry about it. It's about time it got sorted though.

So, the projects moving a little closer now. I cant wait!

:eek:

I should tell the guy in the LBS about that. Thing is he's trying to get it through his usual trade suppliers. It's probably cheaper for him. I'll tell him about CRC though.

EDIT: I just emailed the LBS with that link. Thanks again Fluffy.

We'll....

The LBS have been having a hard time getting a rim so I'm still without a front wheel. They have offered to do the work FOC though as compensation. They have been really good about it. Hopefully It'll be done this week.

The frame and fork lowers aren't done yet but I'm expecting the call this week. Looking forward to getting it back :)

After that I just need to fiddle about with the forks and brakes a bit. Will get there in the end. lol!

EDIT: Started this on Sep 27, 2009. Almost 8 months ago! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I am honestly surprised a build/project thread survived this 8 months and 9 pages in the chat area and has not been moved to the readers mtb's.

I'm also surprised I got my Kona riding first :LOL: Though it still needs work to have it proper ridable.

Lol! I even asked the mods to move it. When shes done I'll put up a new thread in the proper section. Glad you got yours done fella ;)

Back