Did any body else notice

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
That on the news the leader of the conservatives went out on his bike. But he didn't ware his crash hat just hung it on his handlebar. Then rode through a red light. Not a good example to set if he wants to be PM.
Why do people buy crash hats and hang them on the handle bar?

Didn't see it TinTin but I did cross the local 'chaingang' on the way home last night - about 9/10 riders and only 2 with helmets. Why do so few 'roadies' wear helmets? Very rare you see an MTBer without one.....

when I was hiring out MTB's and 'hard' bloked refused top wear one (it was obligatory as part of the hiring terms) I would just say you can't be riding hard enough to think you need one - that soon made them do it as they didn't want to be seen to be wooses.

Oh and the other thing that REALLY annoys me is parents out on their bikes with their kids - kids have helmets, parents don't - what kind of example is that...

MadCowKev":y8vmqmvf said:
Didn't see it TinTin but I did cross the local 'chaingang' on the way home last night - about 9/10 riders and only 2 with helmets. Why do so few 'roadies' wear helmets? Very rare you see an MTBer without one.....

Uhm, I have to say around where I bike (Holland) I have to really pay attention to see an MTBer who DOES wear a helmet... God forbid I only wore a helmet once in 18 years of riding (sorry, just don't like wearing a helmet. I know it's safe to do so).

Of course in competitions everyone wears one. Maybe some other riders in Holland wear helmets (since I saw Elev12K with one in his pics). But me and just about everyone that rides with me don't wear one. Guess we've all been lucky for the past years :oops: :oops:

And yeah, roadies with a helmet are even rarer here too... but off-road you often crash a bit "softer" than on the pavement/tarmac ;-)

orange71":3jcao1r2 said:

Oh and the other thing that REALLY annoys me is parents out on their bikes with their kids - kids have helmets, parents don't - what kind of example is that...
I AGREE 100% :shock:

Sorry people I only ware a crash hat when racing. As you can't race if you don't have one, due to insurance.

MadCowKev":htnt5wuh said:
And yet my local roadies wont let me ride with them as i don't ware a hat. well thats their excuse

Void(EN12-82)":3kol45oa said:
God forbid I only wore a helmet once in 18 years of riding (sorry, just don't like wearing a helmet. I know it's safe to do so) ;-)

:shock: I don't even ride to the pub without mine - neither do my cycling firends!

I've been riding offroad since 1989 - bought bike and helmet together cannot imagine ever getting on my MTB and not wearing it - I'll admit in the past to not wearing one (or a functional one at least :D ) when riding on the road or timetrialing.

Void(EN12-82)":192zgvmw said:
Of course in competitions everyone wears one. Maybe some other riders in Holland wear helmets (since I saw Elev12K with one in his pics). But me and just about everyone that rides with me don't wear one. Guess we've all been lucky for the past years :oops: :oops:

It is the same for yo-eddy and the rest of the tribe. I am the exception, though do sometimes encounter people wearing one.

Think that Camaron guy secretly dreams of becoming PM overhere :LOL:

Btw I NEVER encounter people wearing a helmet on a regular bike. Okay, I sometimes do, but than they are German tourists.

Back