Is it worth owt?

Sam R

Devout Dirtbag
OK it's not strictly retro but does anyone care to give me their opinion on the 2nd hand value of a Santa Cruz Hecker? Thinking about buying one and thought I'd tap the collective wisdom of those that frequent RetroBike - some of you ride newer stuff?! I like it because Heckler's have been around since the mid 90's (though its an 04/05) and it has Maverick forks which are Paul Turner's post-Rock Shox company, so are kind of an evolution of the concept behind the original forks. Lineage, if you like; like the Porshe 993 is to the original 911 - still air cooled, but updated.

The spec is Maverick DUC forks, 5th Element shock, classic Race Face Turbines, Middleburn rings, original dark grey XTR, Hope r/hub, Mav f/hub, Mavic rims, Crank Bros pedals (candys, I think, nowt bling), newish XT shifters, Hope M4 brakes, Conti tyres. The rear pivot bearings are shot (more play than a puppy) - seller reckons these are cheap and will knock cost off.

Your opinions please! Many thanks

Attachments

• 5b3c_12.jpg
    5b3c_12.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,565
dude, thats waay too new for most folks on here :LOL: ;)
. nowt wrong with the frame, i dont have any experience of the forks.

yep thought that maybe a problem! Seriously though, thanks for input, the opinion of people who have been into mtbs for a long time (and seen fads come & go) is often useful for advice so keep it coming!

Anyone know a rough formula for costing these things? In the old bike shop it was 60% RRP - 10% for each year, minus value of anything that needs replacing (bearings in this case)

I've always gone with 50% then less 10% for each year - but if you can get 60% :D :D :D :D

I was under the impression though that the bearings were expensive to replace as a special tool was required???

Saw this written on the mbr forum

"After only 9 months of riding i started to get some serious play in the pivot points. I only use my bike on the weekends and maybe once during the week so the life span of these components is really short. You are looking at £90 for replacement parts and another £50 for a tool to fit the bearings....every nine months! Ouch!!"

This was written about a Nomad rather than a Heckler and could have been a one off but may be worth considering????

no I'm buying... maybe :?

£4 each from Jungle for bearings an allen kit fit.

My god this is like the wrenching decision choosing between bikes (carbon - scott/alu - fisher/FS - mt vision/hardtail - racey - arrghh!) when I was younger. Except it's not because now it my money and not my parents :(

heckler

Hi Sam, I had a heckler superlight for a few years, trust me it will ride superbly. As for not being retro! thats right it isnt but come back in a few years time and you will be mr retro pimp. and the envy of the new generation. Hell im envious now. Cheers, Al

Plus i think your still welcome here. I'm not that retro i run 9speed :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I'm trying to be more retro with my new project. But it bloody hard work and i'm a lazy sod :LOL:

Thats a bit ritch i have a broken back and i ride a surley ss. Must try harder!! Much respect and stuff, Al

Back