Coolwall - Klein

• Cool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
klein

RARE ,FAT TUBES ,LIGHTWEIGHT ,EXPENSIVE ,DID i MENSION RARE
BEAUTIFUL PAINT ,ENVY,ENVY,ENVY AND MORE ENVY.THIS IS WHY IF YOU LEAVE ONE ANYWHERE IT WILL BE NICKED BY THIEVING SCUM,SO CERTAINLY NOT ELITIST AS THEY OBVIOUSLY TRANSCEND THE CLASS SYSTEM,and most importantly I have one ,must be cool then. :LOL:

Gator

Ever since I saw that bright green coloured Klien in a shop in Meadowhall all them years ago when I was 16 years old I wanted one!

The Gator fade has to be the coolest.

Cool!

I pretty much embody Retrobike. I own nothing newer than my 1994 Klein Quantum II road bike. My other main ride is a 1983 Raleigh Super Course 12, updated, repainted and S&S coupled. I also own a 1984 Trek 520, 1993 steel Stumpjumper FS, 1974 Raleigh Gran Prix, and various and sundry cruisers, winter bikes, two Raleigh Twenties and 3-speeds.

The Klein is cool because it's sleek, gorgeous (Sea and Sky paint -- anyone else familiar with that one?), stiff, solid, light and responsive. It was not expensive when I bought it. Mind, this is not the top-line Klein available at the time, but the frame was only about $800 in 1994. Contemporary titanium, Cannondale, high-end Trek OCLV, European and American lugged or tig'd steel were all much more money and while I'm sure they were and are fine bikes, nothing else available at the time offered the combination of assets for the money that the Klein did, to my way of thinking. It did make me faster -- show up to a group ride on a flashy (though not too flashy) Klein and you'd better be ready to work! (I had a friend tell me my bike was "glowing" during one ride ... but this was after I'd waxed it twice ;-) ) As for the ride, I've never thought it was too harsh. It is stiff, but not dead-feeling like the OCLV bikes, and while it's not springy like my beloved Raleigh (a Cadillac by any measure), it does have a very lively and responsive feel to it without beating me up. And to this day it attracts a lot of positive attention. The only mark on the bike came from a handlebar strike suffered during a bone-breaking crash many years ago. The bones healed, mostly, but the ding is still there. No matter.

Good discussion! Maybe I'll get motivated and post a picture ...

Cheers,
Paul

Postscript

By the way, I couldn't care less about Klein's marketing, Porsches, old pick-up trucks, yuppies or hipsters or any of that. The bike is just very nice, and I've always appreciated that it was handmade in Chehalis, WA. This is where Trek went wrong -- they diluted the brand by shifting production from Chehalis, and by striking the fine detailing from the bike, not the least of which was the paint. I see from some of the comments here that Klein's paint is something of a lightning rod for derision, but I've always thought, why not make the paint as good as it can be? If the buyer is willing to spend $100 or $200 more for that, then so be it. I just want to ride my bikes! After all, my main ride is a 27-year-old Raleigh with downtube shifters, fer cryin out loud. And the restoration of that bike and conversion to a travel bike with S&S couplings cost me more than my Klein frame!

Anyway, ride safely -- enjoy this beautiful spring weekend! (except you Kiwis and Aussies out there ... well, you know.)

If it had not been for meeting someone on a British Cycling coaching course who was riding a '92 Attitude in Gator Fade I'd have never got into retro bikes. I then started my quest for one and now own four........

Klein built some great frames and ignoring the paint for a minute, they ride nice, very responsive and paired with the right kit go like stink! I just rode the Devon Dirt on a '98 Pulse and loved it!

As for the paint, for sure it makes a Klein stand out from the crowd, but since when has a bit of individuality been a crime?

Cool.

To me they sum up the 90's...Fat tubing,Sloping top tube,neon paint,lightweight...

Simplicity in the Headset (2 bearings 2 seals)and BB (2 bearings an axle)
No threads to mess up and little maintenance

Some totally cool paint jobs but some crap ones which people forget!

I ride mine 5 days a week and still enjoy it!

J

jonrock":pjci4fk1 said:
Cool.

To me they sum up the 90's...Fat tubing,Sloping top tube,lightweight...

Simplicity in the Headset (2 bearings 2 seals)and BB (2 bearings an axle)
No threads to mess up and little maintenance

J

And those ideas where ahead of their time then and still on bikes now.

So cool.

Klein is not dead. It's a really weapon to ride even the market claim carbon bike.
I ride and race still a Quantum Pro in road race, equipped with DA7900 & Lightweigth weelset.
klein is story.

Kool.

Back