[ebay.com]Hemmings old Harlequin Yo Eddy

Dr S":3t892s1e said:
I've just run the pic of Hemming on the bike through a peice of software i have that we use for replicating car panels and chassis componants- it concludes that the seat tube on that frame he is riding is 43cm (17 inches) CTC. If i'm correct that makes that particular frame a size medium? Its usually pretty accurate but the M/L is only an inch bigger so it could do with further investigation.

I'd recon from the head tube on DH's bike in MBUK that it's a ML if not a L. My 95/96 Yo and Buck both M have shorter headtubes.

northerndave":2xxqzf2g said:
Dr S":2xxqzf2g said:
I've just run the pic of Hemming on the bike through a peice of software i have that we use for replicating car panels and chassis componants- it concludes that the seat tube on that frame he is riding is 43cm (17 inches) CTC. If i'm correct that makes that particular frame a size medium? Its usually pretty accurate but the M/L is only an inch bigger so it could do with further investigation.

I'd recon from the head tube on DH's bike in MBUK that it's a ML if not a L. My 95/96 Yo and Buck both M have shorter headtubes.

I did consider that but the headtube length changed at some point. I have been looking for a post by a Fat Cogs regular who discussed this at length and showed two examples of his medium Yo's that had different length headtubes- I think it was the slightly later frame (like yours) that had a shorter gap between top and bottom tubes as they became suspension corrected- looking at the build of that bike I'd guess it was an earlier frame. Its just conjecture on my part and could do with further investigation.

You can distinguish the M and M/L Yo a bit better via their different headtube length, when you have a M, the top and downtube nearly meet at the headtube, M/L has a longer headtube with more space between the 2 tubes like the one here

edit: nice, just have seen it´s already been posted that way :) The picture I had attached I took from the 94 catalogue. Of course you can ask him the frame number to be entirely sure...

Attachments

• YoEddy_M_headtube.png
    YoEddy_M_headtube.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 3,590
supremate":1pnvu68t said:
You can distinguish the M and M/L Yo a bit better via their different headtube length, when you have a M, the top and downtube nearly meet at the headtube, M/L has a longer headtube with more space between the 2 tubes like the one here ;)

That is a sus corrected frame though. See post above^^

This is the gap on a 1991 and 1992 Medium Yo frame

Attachments

• Yo 1992.jpg
    Yo 1992.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 3,579
You are entirely right, Si. The 2 frames you posted are not suspension corrected, the one I posted is. The Yo geometry changed in headtube length from 98mm to 90mm when it was suspension corrected during 92/93, which explains the shorter tube in my picture (94 Yo M) in comparison to your two frames. So your comparison here is the suspension correction. However, I mean the comparison between M and M/L (either corrected or not). The M/L had a longer headtube than the M, and the frame in question is from 1994 (means sus.corrected) and you can directly compare it to the picture I posted, which is from the M Yo depicted in the 1994 catalogue. Btw. he also put the CtoC seattube measure as 18", which is also M/L (M is 17"), so in my opinion there is no question that it is a M/L as stated...

Again, to be entirely sure you know you can ask him about the serial ;)

But the big question, is the frame being sold on eBay (a M/L) the same frame (which looks more like a non corrected Medium) in the picture with Hemming?? That build looks earlier than 1994 to me. I think that picture is from the film Dirt. What year did that come out?

Edit: Dirt was made in june 1995, so that fits.

But the big question, is the frame being sold on eBay (a M/L) the same frame (which looks more like a non corrected Medium) in the picture with Hemming??

Well to me it looks quite legit. Beside that I think the parts of Hemmings bike and also JMC in the back (jersey, FSR etc) do fit (just like the film date you posted), I think the story tuercas has told sounds quite right (move to Mexico, getting hold of the frame, loss of the cable holder on the transport, repairing it, having made Chris Igleheart a fork for it etc.), it just doesn´t sound like you have some random Yo sitting there where you plan to fool some folks. Btw. some of the pictures tuercas has posted in the other thread mentioned earlier are before the repaint and show the frame in the same original painting, just like it has been redone...

I think it´s a nice one to own :cool:

2 things to add....

I recon you're right Si, the sus corrected frames did have the shorter head tubes relative to their predecessors..

This is my M sus-corrected frame and the headtube is 90mm

DSC_1852.jpg

Second, I've got a an old MBUK with Hemming doing wild things on the harlequin. Like splashing through a river and playing basket ball with his front wheel!! ... Will dig it out later see if we can get some more identifying pics from it...

Oh and those yellow and black Yo's looks neat together. I love FAT's...

Oh I agree totally, its a stunner and would be so cool built up as in period. Its always nice to have a little back story on something like this though. There have been a few bikes of late that have been passed off as belonging to xyz without any provenance. It always pays to be careful.

I hope someone on here snags it and gives it the build it deserves :cool:

Back