Buying bikes/parts - carpe diem or a master plan?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I seem to be in a magpie mode, buying up all sorts of trinkets with little rhyme nor reason and with no planned use in mind (these are not especially rare or desirable bits either). And even worse I go for road as well as offroad stuff. Why don't I just give my self a good talking to and focus like the Hubble space telescope?

So, when buying bikes or parts do you strictly adhere to a list or think "I fancy one of those"? Or a bit of both?

And is there anyway I can wean myself off this compulsion (all remedies considered short of self flagellation with birch twigs as I do that anyway)?

no way to wean yourself off - sorry - once an addict always an addict

bit of both - if I spot a bargain I buy it and then put it to use later (or much later or even never!)

I always keep my eye out for a "bargain" (Oh how I hate that word) I got some nice 7sp DX thumbies for £7.50 off ebay as the person did not describe them well and used poor pics. But on the whole I try to stick to what I need and stick to one build at a time.

Therapy can take many forms but I find hypnotherapy best for OCD or you could try CBT :D

I guess a bit of both! I use a spreadsheet for my project builds to tell me what parts I have/need/how much I paid :oops:

(I haven't added a weight column yet but this may soon follow :oops: :oops: )

However the spreadsheet usually ends up with a spare parts column where i change my mind halfway through - busy gathering XT M735 parts but then find I some NOS XC-Pro blah de blahs etc.....

Which i guess is a bit of gathering "in case I may need those" category - last night it was XC Pro brakelevers and thumbies!

Carpe Diem is the way forward though!

I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM ALRIGHT?

orange71":1ofop952 said:
no way to wean yourself off - sorry - once an addict always an addict

I agree but recently the feelings have heightened further - or perhaps before I was in denial wheras now I'm more self aware?

I always keep my eye out for a "bargain"

This is the bit I have problems with, i seem to convince myself that paying £30 for a 20 year old stem etc is a bargain .... something is going a bit wrong with my value of money calculations ...

I tend to have a general idea what I want to do with each project, put a list down of things to pick up, and then change just about every component as i go along ...

If I start a "project", I first try to find a frame, then collect the original catalogue with a description of the listed parts by that time.

Then starts my hunting, building up experience on how much things do cost and how much can I afford. ➡️ But this is a budgeting thing that most of us do with daily life.

Now, if a I see a NOS Disc Drive sold at 50 € in a shop, I'll buy it and use the profit to purchase what I really need.

... Six months later, I eat my balls because I stupidly sold that Disc-Drive !!! :cry:

I agree but recently the feelings have heightened further - or perhaps before I was in denial wheras now I'm more self aware?

having a group like us around though is like an alcoholic hanging around in a pub saying to his mates "you know I can't seem to kick the drink habit" they'll just reply "go on just have another..." :LOL:

Back