Rabobank Master new pics 15/6/10

Looking really sweet although if it was mine (one day....) I'd go for skinwall tyres and 'conventional' wheels rather than the blue tyres and Shamal combo - the frame is the star so good to have nothing detracting from it.

Minor points though and obviously personal preference - top bike.

ededwards":1h8x54pb said:
Looking really sweet although if it was mine (one day....) I'd go for skinwall tyres and 'conventional' wheels rather than the blue tyres and Shamal combo - the frame is the star so good to have nothing detracting from it.

As it happens Ed, I have a set of regular wheels already sourced - Mavic Open CD SUP/DT on Record hubs - all set to go. I have been looking at other tyres, amberwall being the idea - what do you think of amberwall orange? Or do you think amberwall black is best???

fingers":1ilrs1yg said:
ededwards":1ilrs1yg said:

As it happens Ed, I have a set of regular wheels already sourced - Mavic Open CD SUP/DT on Record hubs - all set to go. I have been looking at other tyres, amberwall being the idea - what do you think of amberwall orange? Or do you think amberwall black is best???

I'd say amberwall black as completely neutral against the frame (I have some NOS amberwall and fawn tyres that I liked the look of but have never found anything to fit them on).

What I was thinking too... Just got to find some now - seem to be plenty of amberwall tubs but clinchers less so...

Wheelnut":sqe8pdb5 said:
I think I'm right in saying that you could use a 9-speed hub and cassette with the 8-speed Ergo levers and adjust the rear mech to suit, using the lower 8 ratios.

No.

You can however respace a 9-speed cassette using 8-speed spacers and not using one of the cogs. To space out the smallest cog you'd need an extra thin spacer too.

i've been looking over the campag bits in the pic to try and guess the age of the parts, here's my thoughts and i'm happy to be corrected cos i'm guessing from memory!!

i had 95 record 8 speed on my cougar (bought brand new), the ergolevers you have have the cut out on the inner gear lever which i think was the year after mine which don't have that cut out, so 96/97 i think, then they changed the shape of the lever after that but i think your shape was the last 8speed record. the cranks i think are the first 9speed record though, the 8 speed record cranks (which i stupidly sold) looked very different, so i think the cranks and brakes are 98ish. the front mech looks later aswel.

i think it should be a complete 9 speed built bike but when someone has come to sell it they have kept all the 9 speed bits they wanted to swap to another frame then rebuilt it with the rest of a 8speed group, the idea being that the new frame they got used a non campag chainset and brakes etc so they just needed the 9speed bits, chain,cassette, wheels, ergo's etc.

as far as the wheels go, i have a set of vento's with 16 spokes, using the hpw hubs which used straight pull internal style spokes so it suggests that your wheels are earlier than mine but that makes sense coz i got my wheels a year or so after i got the bike (i ran record/open 4cd to start with) so i think mine are 96/97, also i remember the shamals the same model year as my vento's were 12spoke!!

so to summerise i think your frame is 99/2000 but the wheels are 95/96, the 8speed stuff is 96/97 and some other bits are 98ish

but that's going from memory.

bloody nice machine though.

here is a (old and scanned) pic of my cougar as it was when brand knew in 95 to compare the campag, it was boardman copy, slx tubing in gan colours but with full 95 record

Attachments

• the '95 cougar, when new, gan team colours.jpg
    the '95 cougar, when new, gan team colours.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 1,410
Good summary of parts! Cheers

After my research I think that sounds about right for the parts age etc... The gem is the campanolo record titanium rear mech, a lovely bit of kit!

Bloody smart cougar (if a little small for my tastes! :cool: )

Cheers

A.

Well here's some updated pics...

Ive only done a few miles on her so far, but a quick spin today felt excellent...

I have just changed the wheels to some nearly new mavic open sup on campag record or chorus hubs (how can you tell???), similar era to the bike... And also a set of very light and very nice michelin service course tyres which are very up to date and fast...

Also put on a shorter stem, fits like a glove now! The famed handling is restored - seriously though, this bike is very 'chuckable' for a roadbike.

What do you think -

IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1602.jpg

This is one of those bikes that takes about 2 crankturns to get you grinning from ear to ear... I'd say its the finest bike I have ever ridden. Even though its old school and steel it feels stiff, direct and like it means business!

Can you guess I love this old gate???

Three comments:

1) Looks fantastic

2) That's a heck of a seatpost extension.

Which leads to...

3) .. you should sell it to me :twisted:

More seriously, it's a lovely bike, please make sure you ride it whenever the weather is clement.

Loving the new wheels.

I think the Record hubs have an oiling port and a metal ring covering it but the Chorus hubs do not, but I'm not entirely certain.

Those Masters are fantastic to ride. Don't even think of selling it (except perhaps to me...).

Back