5/5/2010 20:00 - Retrobike Global Night Ride - Aftermath

Bimble in't' woods for me too:

Picture217-1.jpg

Bloody lovely evening for it!

being honest, i wasn't sure if i was gonna go out tonight, after doing a 12 hour dayshift i wasn't really in the mood especially as i'm in tomorrow at 6am aswel. but then i kept thinking "No! DO IT!!" so i did about 15miles in total which was way more than i thought i'd do as i felt really crap to start with but once i warmed up the VIT T2 was flying!! :D :D

i chose to go out from my place on to kings copse and out towards the beaulieu enclosure then into dibden enclosure and back home, dibden enclosure has some nice little up an downs bits and quite a bit of reasonable singletrack, most of this ride can be done on big ring at a good pace.

retro music was the order of the day aswel, being mostly 80's and 90's on the ipod :cool: although i'm not gonna tell you just how bad the music was!! ;) :D

here are my pics!! :D :D

Attachments

• 050510 022bunker hill.jpg
    050510 022bunker hill.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,407
  • 050510 024new forest.jpg
    050510 024new forest.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,407
  • 050510 025 nightride.jpg
    050510 025 nightride.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,407
  • 050510 nightride.jpg
    050510 nightride.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,407
20:00 precisely at MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry) Manchester :cool:

SDC11158.jpg

SDC11163.jpg

Then we scooted around town, whizzing through the empty pedestrian bits (felt like we owned the place) and ended up in Albert Square for a choccy break...

SDC11179.jpg

Then around the canals a little and found a nice photo spot

One retro Raleigh Flyer, been in the family 22 years (and was bought second hand then for £60 :oops:)

SDC11205.jpg

And the notentirelyretroreallybutdefinitelyhasretrospirit Adora (why do girls have to name everything?) - this is where all the gold on the site has been ending up recently :LOL:

SDC11201.jpg

Love seeing everyone's pics, such a cool idea :cool:

Up here in Orkney my great plans were thwarted by the weather. About 6 I took a picture indicating where I wished to go for the 8pm picture:

4582446508_4ea3db25a2.jpg

But by 7 the cloud base had dropped to about 400ft, weighed down by volcanic ash, so Plan A (Wideford Hill) was goosed. So I went for a ride around the City and Royal Burgh of Kirkwall and St Ola instead, on my newly refurbed 89 Saracen Tufftrax. I went past the Mart and Orkney Meat and saw some blissfully unaware kye (about 7.55):

4582446522_5732134089_b.jpg

They love their retro. Then I went to the terminal for the Aberdeen ferry to mark the appointed hour:

4582446524_8db6996ebe_b.jpg

Then tootled back to the toon formulating a cathedral plan- so I framed it artily in my forks on the Hatston Slip (used by the seaplanes that crippled the Tirpitz during WWII):

4582446528_b88964e709_b.jpg

That was about 8.20. Whenever I leave the house I must go past the pier to see what is going on, so I went doon the pier a look, and did the cliched look back to the fleshpots of Harbour Street at about half 8:

4582446530_a23dd53fc5_b.jpg

And finally made it to Broad Street and St Magnus Cathedral where I sacreligiously parked my bike on the market cross so I could get the clock and spire in as well (showing 8.42).

4582446540_cb64fe73bd_b.jpg

I'm one of the councillors for Kirkwall- what kind of example is this?

It's a good example.

Sorry for boring you with my lengthy travelogue, and sorry my pictures are a bit dark, the fog came in later as well. Disappointing as I wanted to demonstrate the retina-searing light here in late evening!

Loving the other pictures...

Just back in. 18 miles in three hours. Weather good. Highlight was some bored housewife flashing her knockers at us from the patio doors of a Newbiggin guest house. Of course I missed it but it put a smile on Andy and Ians faces. Better pics in the morning but here's a few from my phone.

Well done to everyone who turned out.

4581636975_183c4a1a55_b.jpg

4581950103_2e0df30708_b.jpg

went up my hill tonight
uncle puncture slowed things so was late for class
8:10 ish

Even I managed to get out tonight to ride ... and believe me that's impressive after a hard day's work!! :LOL:

I know I'm riding modern but that's cos my retroride raleigh is currently without brakes ... hopefully that'll change after MM10!! ;-)

Anyway, here's my pics from tonight, most of them were taken with my camera by total strangers, so I hope they come out ok ...

Attachments

• Rest stop!!.jpg
    Rest stop!!.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 3,524
  • Near the start 2!!.jpg
    Near the start 2!!.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 3,524
  • Near the start!.jpg
    Near the start!.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 3,524
me and ma boy went out for a run round the local trails in craufordland estate and had a blast, me on the Yo and him on the miniclockwork, however camera worked once then conked out- so just a on the move shot for me- great idea, good father son experience even if Cameron thought the trails were to easy ha the folly of youth!

nightride.jpg

And the other 3 pics of tonight ... and yes I did fall off trying to ride over grass tussocks that were too big for me to deal with ... won't be trying that again!! :oops:

Hope you all had fab night!! :cool:

Attachments

• Back at my truck!!.jpg
    Back at my truck!!.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 3,514
  • Back in the saddle.jpg
    Back in the saddle.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 3,514
  • Cheating by walking over the tussocks.jpg
    Cheating by walking over the tussocks.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 3,514
After everyone else dropped out, I managed to fit in a short loop on my own after a busy day shovelling cyber-shite.

Hit the top of the first big climb at about ten to eight and spent far too long trying to catch a self timer riding shot, then continued into the dusk down a nice long descent. Stopped for a few more of the obligatory bike close up shots before getting home after an hour and a bit.

GlobalNightride-001.jpg

GlobalNightride-003m.jpg
GlobalNightride-004m.jpg

GlobalNightride-005m.jpg
GlobalNightride-006m.jpg

GlobalNightride-002.jpg

Latest posts

Back