Farleton Repack ride: May 23rd - are you coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So, if you read my thread here you'll know what this is about: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

This is where it all started (for me at least :D )

My first ever mountain bike ride was at Farleton Fell in Cumbria in 1991 on a neon-pink second hand Diamond Back Topanga I bought from a friend - it was my first mountain bike. I have re-created the bike which I took on that ride, using some of the original bits.

The plan is to ride the bike for its maiden voyage at Farleton on Sunday May 23rd (day before my birthday :p)

Sadly local routemeister Mark (Sinnett177) can't make it - however he is laying on a good route for us which I shall attempt to follow :D

I'm hoping that a special guest may be appearing in the shape of the person who sold me that bike nearly 20 years ago and was with me on that seminal ride - my mate Neil :p who may be back from Antarctica in time :shock:

So, who fancies a bit of Cumbrian landscape? Route details to be confirmed, but will hopefully start at Holme (at the foot of Farleton Fell) and end by descending the front face.

More details to follow.

Well here is a map of the route over Farleton. Sadly I'll be at work, which is a real shame as this my local loop and literally only a stones throw from my door :cry:

Farleton.jpg

Its a stonking bit of riding up there, i'm sure you'll really enjoy it as the NWA did last year. It might be worth extending the route though to maybe Kirby Lonsdale or perhaps out to the coast and Arnside?

With luck mr_ship will be about and he'll be able to show you around?

Agree that there is some great riding on the fell and the surrounding area.

I'm hoping to be there for this one. I may bring along my own re-acquisition of my first proper mountain bike too.

Thanks for the route info Mark - pretty sure that was the first route I ever did :D It would be good to extend it possibly to make a day of it. I'll do some research.

OK here's the extended route. Hopefully not too optimistic. Start time/location details to follow.

w03myx.jpg

Hope to be with you for this. What distance, and what are all those brown lines close together, no sorry, correction, VERY close togther near the end?

Sounds like a cool ride-but where does the word Repack play in? I thought it was going to be about our downhill run here in Fairfax-Repack-but instead is over there in Jolly Old England? :D

:oops: sorry - hope you haven't copyrighted it!

I called it this because Repack was where it all started for you guys. Farleton was where it all started for me personally. We used to fly down the front face of this hill on our old MTBs and hope to get down in one piece :D

Sounds like a lot of fun, and it seems like you had the same thoughts in mind that we did, to fly down the hill as fast as possible! How about some pics. of the ride when you are done! Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back