Judy XC's and V-brakes

JustKev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
A really common set up but one that I cannot get right!

I have today tried two sets of V-brakes (LX and XTR's) on my Judy XC's. I cannot get any significant spring tension in the brakes - they're just 'soft'.

My forks only have one central spring hole - not three like some otehr forks.

Any ideas? I have tried tightening both grubs screws on the brakes fully in - no difference, I tried bending the springs out a little - again no difference....

Sorry Kev, instead of the Quote icon I clicked the Edit icon. Please add again the details I deleted.

Below what I intended to do.

MadCowKev":2gkroxti said:
A really common set up but one that I cannot get right!

I have today tried two sets of V-brakes (LX and XTR's) on my Judy XC's. I cannot get any significant spring tension in the brakes - they're just 'soft'.

My forks only have one central spring hole - not three like some otehr forks.

Any ideas? I have tried tightening both grubs screws on the brakes fully in - no difference, I tried bending the springs out a little - again no difference....

Bending them a little bit more??

The same setup works fine on my Yo. Don't know why, but it works.

I am thinking: Aren't your rims wider? Maybe replace the longer cylindric bits on the inside with the shorter on the outside vice versa

thanks Melvin

rims are 231's.

Will try bending them more......I already tried putting all the brake block spacers/adjusters on the 'inside'

My Yo has 238. I don't know the difference. Seems you're stuck with a brakeless bicycle :LOL: Makes you go faster.

Or?

I run some narrow mavs with XTR vs, and they pull in a LONG way to the rim on Judys.

Just bend the spring a bit by hand, its how I always adjust them :)

The rear brake bosses on my Lloyd are much further apart than the front ones - I ended up putting an additional flat spacer between the brake shoes and the V-brake arm.

Worked a treat.

seems to be too many combinations that dont work - i try and avoid paralell push V's now

LX paralell push + project 2 + mavic F519 = no worky

Bent the springs out (much further than before - only LX though) and now the brakes work.

Thanks Guys!

Had a similar experience recently ...

Fitting a shim tune-up kit to a set of M739 V-brakes. Three of the cantis went well until the last one, fitted enough shims until all play removed and tightened up the axle bolt, ended up with a stiff parallel arm which caused the brake to refuse to return under spring pressure alone. Took out the smallest shim which left a small amount of play tightened it all up and hey presto! works perfect.

Back