Victory for team Retro Bike!

That was a first for me and a good fun event, even moreso as we had two teams competing against each other. Kes and I were around 10-15 meters behind the others for most of the canoe leg which was pretty tough as the plastic boats gave you no back or foot support (plus they had holes in the bottom => wet arse for the run), then with some clever captaining by Kes we made up terrain and arrived ashore at exactly the same time (we even ran into them pirate-style didn't we!).

Then after the transition and for the run we found ourselves still right behind them, until they started slowing down and I tried to slightly increase the pace. Kes and I kept together and had a good lead by the end of the 10km. The best was to come of course with the mountain bike leg, I don't have a retrobike jersey but I was flying the flag with the Ibis and most of its drivetrain brand new. We caught up the leading guy who was solo and slowly got ahead on the first climb, which was quite brutal.

A quick ride on the SDW and after a steep downhill where I almost lost control back to river-level, for the home run back to base, swerving between the deep puddles and doing our best to avoid the oncoming riders who were on their way out doing the event in a different order.

Any body fancy the Classic (double distance) either solo or as a team?
:mrgreen:

Being part of the second pair racing these two whippets I can vouch for just how fast they were...

Early pride at storming away in the canoe was replaced by pain on the run as they quickly pulled away from us.

After a pretty slow run and not managing to make up much on the bike we were happy to take 4th as things could have been worse!

Lessons learnt.

Back