I know it's not old school but i need some help.

Eddie_The_Head

Old School Hero
Hi Guys and Gals OK i need a bit of help please if you can,now i know this rig is not old school but it's what i use to be a weekend warrior but something is driving me crazy............The rear suspension unit creaks like a b****rd and i can't work out what to do.It is a STRATOS HELIX X DH PRO LOCKOUT suspension unit sitting on a RISSE RACING swingarm and the bike cost me a few thousand so its annoying to hear it creak.Any ideas would be fantastic because this ones got me stumped ??.

Attachments

• DSC00093[1].JPG
    DSC00093[1].JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,980
  • DSC00097[1].JPG
    DSC00097[1].JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 2,980
  • DSC00098[1].JPG
    DSC00098[1].JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,980
  • DSC00095[1].JPG
    DSC00095[1].JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,980
Is it definitely the rear suspension unit and not bottom bracket or cranks?

Are the bushes worn on the swingarm? Do they need lubricating?

Are the bushes on the shock worn/need lubricating?

Is the spring rubbing somewhere? Spray it with WD40 perhaps at the top and bottom to eliminate this.

Has to be one of the above really unless there's an internal squeak to the shock. Is it still under warrantee?

Yes it is without doubt the sus unit the B/B is brand new so def not that and so are the bushings and the cranks are only 4mnths old.The bike is still under warrantee it's something that i have thought about just taking it back to get it looked at but i picked it up in Scotland and i live in London (yeah go figure).As you say i might have to get the WD40 out would'nt it be nice to go problem free.

Sorry can't help much except i find when i bike is just put together. All those little problems iron them selves out through useage. Which is what happened in both my bikes.
Not your knees?

That did make me laugh.

tintin40":z2dfc6b3 said:
Sorry can't help much except i find when i bike is just put together. All those little problems iron them selves out through useage. Which is what happened in both my bikes.
Not your knees?
I like it,I like it.........could be me old mate :LOL:

pull the shock off, remove the spring, clean all contact areas with the preload dial & base, add a little grease & re-fit.

it looks pretty clean, so this may not do the job, but a dirty spring & preload dial is what normaly makes em' creak.

I usually find if its too clean it creaks!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Maybe Somerset mud is therapeutic for bikes!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D

Also i think some body has stolen your engine and replaced it with a water bottle :shock:
Those front shocks must give plenty of movement!

tintin40":1853j5v8 said:
Also i think some body has stolen your engine and replaced it with a water bottle :shock:
Those front shocks must give plenty of movement!
Yeah they are stratos super 8's and give a huge amount of travel cost about a grand and well worth it when i am throwing this beast about i hardley feel a bump.And i know what you mean about it looks like my engine has been pinched it is easy to mistake it for a motor bike and the 3.0 tyres really set it off........ :LOL: :cool: :LOL:

creaks and groans..

I had a mongoose a few years ago that needed the bottom bracket ripped out and re-greasing on the threads every month or so to stop the creaking....even when it was new and it was a new bb....strange. :roll:

Back