Another Customized RS Judy [Attention, Saracen lovers!]

chaser

Senior Retro Guru
Hi Guys and Girls,

I am sure you will agree, this Saracen now looks a mile away from the ebay Bankrupt-Surplus beginnings.

Well I finally got around to having the 97 Judy's colour matched.

Kinda looks a bit like a Fat Chance now!

The Judy's are heavily customized....

1. Respray Purple
2. Risse Racing GEM damper
3. Kronos coil spring in LH leg [rebound was still too fast with both fitted, even with new Risse damper]
4. Customized elastomer/spring stack in RH leg [I cut the spring stop shorter to allow more compression of small spring and cross drilled the elastomer]
5. Ti canti studs.
6. Enduro fork seals - no need to use boots now.
7. I had the steel steerer cut off and Ti one welded in it's place [Just kidding ;)]

Big thanks to Gil for his help with decals - again.

I also sourced a 3DV anno clamp for the Thomson SP and Stem!

Next on the list is to have the Mavic X717's laced onto the Hope Pro III hubs.

Watch this space :)

Cheers,

Chaser.

Attachments

• JudyPurp.jpg
    JudyPurp.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,371
  • SaraPurp1.jpg
    SaraPurp1.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 1,371
Thanks for your enthusiasm guys.
I sourced the paint from an auto paint distributor. I spent ages going through the colour chips to get as close as poss. They did say they would mix one to match if I left the bike for a few days. I wasn't keen on leaving it and found a Yamaha colour that was almost 100%. 250ml of paint cost 12 quid.
I got a guy I know who has a chips away franchise to spray it. That cost 25 quid. I am very pleased with the result.
Cheers,
Ian.

Re: Another Customized RS Judy [Saracen lovers look at this!

chaser":24yvvoew said:
3. Kronos coil spring in LH leg [rebound was still too fast with both fitted, even with new Risse damper]
Ooo errr! How does your weight compare to the rating of the springs? I was going to get mine slightly on the hard side, but you've got me worried now.

chaser":24yvvoew said:
4. Customized elastomer/spring stack in RH leg [I cut the spring stop shorter to allow more compression of small spring and cross drilled the elastomer]
Not sure I understand that, but mine's a 96, so I only have MCUs, no coil spring. I've got enough sound blue MCUs to make one complete stack - do you think that would work? I just want to test my damper to begin with (and I only weigh 145).

I'd say the spring rate was fine, just the rebound was very fast. I think it's because the elastomers have a slower rebound than a spring.
The elastomer/spring stack in 97 Judy is different to 96. I guess you have infividual mcu's. The 97 has a one piece elastomer and an approx 2in long steel spring. I sm sure you could mix them up like I did.
I can also get almost 60mm travel now too, which was impossible before the mods.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Chaser.

Back