polishing a Titanium frame, what ya usuing?

brocklanders023":nel13lvj said:
Must admit the welds on my Vit-T seem neater then the ones on my pals Team Ti. Both lovely though. :cool:

I was very surprised when I saw the welding on a Litespeed built Marin just a few weeks back. It was the frame that Dr Drew found. I thought it was mass produced in China they were so poor. Certainly an eye opener.

Must admit that the welds on my 2 Litespeed Ti frames aren't as good as others i've seen......didn't realise that some firms use double pass welding....interesting.

I've been using fine wire wool and soapy water to remove light scratches and then autosol and it works a treat, but it's a pain in the ass as it takes a long time..... :roll: give yourself one tube to do at a time and you won't go mad....

How much was ur polishing at a metal polishers Ben? I've found that frame polishing can be quite expensive (£200 per frame i was quoted) and not all polishers do frames, and then not all are prepared to do Titanium frames. A frame builder told me to use a polishers with experience of bike frames as a deep polishing can potentially damage framework. Also no metal polishers in the North-East at all so i've got the hassle of boxing up a frame to post too..... :(

PS. Don't be put off by the Dr's opinion that all Ti frames should be satin finish, etc. He forgets about the beautifully polished finishes on Litespeeds, Marin Team Ti's, Xizangs, etc ;) :D

You know why I don't like polished Ti don't you Drew??

It makes an expensive frame look like a cheapo from Halfords.

Dr S":1r7fdvqh said:
You know why I don't like polished Ti don't you Drew??

It makes an expensive frame look like a cheapo from Halfords.

I don't think it does.....these things are subjective though....Anyway, me got a satin finish with the McMahon, now i'm going shiny finish on the Litespeed.... :cool: ;)

Brown Scotchbrite is the recommended method

Use them on my Merlin with no problem, but have no desire to make it shine like something from Ratners back catalogue of silver plated tat

Benandemu":1s79f6t8 said:
Take it to a proper metal polisher and he'll make it like a mirror for not too much money.
Professional job, with far less hassle and time.

See below for a job I did recently. Compare it with the NOS frame in the background.

P1000680.jpg

P1000681.jpg

P1000682.jpg

P1000683.jpg

P1000684.jpg

P1000685.jpg

P1000687.jpg

P1000686.jpg

P1000690.jpg

P1000691.jpg

Hi Benandemu,
I'm looking to get a titanium frame polished do you mind telling me who did your's and what it costs. I've had a go at it myself but it's taking to long and it's very difficult. The only local polisher i asked would not touch it, said he may damage it. Thanks for any help.

Eddie.

Airborne

I found 0000 grade wire wool, then fine scotchbrite, worked around the tubes, coat of Mer car polish to finish and keep it bright.
Yes the Welds look iffy on the BB compared to Merlin and some Eastern houses.

Back