Raleigh Dyna Tech appreciation and information thread

Re: mission

Tnega":3js0loch said:
Afraid I have been reticent of late checking in here guys, but I'm so glad to see the thread developing and expanding.
My Dynatech Mission is the first brand new bike I ever bought back in early '91.
Loved it then, love it even more now.
I been working (and spending some cash and more) on a GT LTS DH from '97, added hope disc front, full BETD bearings and still looking (and spending) etc, and all this long while I've done nowt to the Mission save replace a rear mech and the odd chain.
But the thought came to me today, if I had to choose between them which would it be?
You would maybe think that would be a hard choice?
Naahhhhh!
On the Mission I dont just get a buzz 10% of the time like on the LTS, every minute I'm out on it is special.
Well named Raleigh Special Division (RIP).

Btw, am I the ONLY ONLY one on retrobike with a Mission?

Great to hear you enjoy your mission. So many Dyna-Tech and other Raleigh Special Products out there.
People are finally admiting that we made some fantastic stuff. Just a shame that more people didn't buy them at the time, if they had we might still be there.

:)

Being lazy I haven't trawled through all the pages of this thread to see if there is chat regarding frame number /year. I have an MT4 frame with a frame number of C14196. Any idea of the year?

Thanks

Rob

Hello Rob. I'll save you the trouble of trawling and tell you that the C means it's a 1992 frame.
I'd quite like an MT-4. They do look very nice indeed.

joining the club

Looks like I've joined the Dyna-Tech club! Picked one up for a decent price from a local classified. Think it will be doing commuting duties and some gentle local stuff with my Heckler reserved for the real rougher stuff.

It's a Diablo LX with what looks like the full original groupset - all LX canti's, combi levers/shifters, chainset, derailers and LX/Parallax hubs. UGLI ti forks & ti bar too. Very good condition apart from the plastic coating had half come away from the top and down tubes, tried to tidy this up by removing most of it (up to where the red fade starts). Don't know too much about these so any info welcome - I'll get some pics up soon. Serial number is D45197. A few questions:

1) If I wanted to in the future, will this frame take a short travel sus fork? If so any suggestions? (Prob more likely to run something like carbon rigid tbh).
2) Year? 94? It has a red metallic front/rear fade to ti colour exposed top/down tubes.
3) Seems like contruction is alu headtube, ti main tubes and cro-mo rear, this correct?
4) OK to leave the ti tubes 'nude' now the coating is coming off or should I lacquer/heli tape them?

Cheers! Andrew

Hello Andrew

In an attempt to answer to your questions:

1) Some of the Dyna Techs from this period were specced with Mag 21's which limits your travel fork travel options to about 60mm. Although in practice you'd probably get away with an 80mm fork running a bit of sag. Any more and you'd kill the geometry.

2) In terms of the serial number I think yours is a 1993 frame.
A=1990, B=1991, C=1992 and therefore D=1993.
However the LX Parallax hubs first appeared in 1994 which, assuming they are original, suggest a 1994 model year bike built with a frame manufactured in 1993. This isn't at all uncommon.

3) The lugs will be aluminium alloy, possibly with some steel inserts, the main tubes will most likely be titanium and the rear triangle will as you've said be cro-mo. Check everything with a magnet to be sure. Some of the higher end frame-sets also had titanium chainstays.

4) The Ti tubes will be fine left bare as they won't corrode. Just buff them up with a 'Scotchbrite' pad if you are so inclined.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures. :cool:

Many thanks the info. Will probably leave it rigid but may get some sus forks to keep aside. Any disturbing issues with the U.G.L.I ti forks?

I'm guessing the whole groupset (inc. pedals) are original so seems like a '94. I also saw an advert from '94 earlier in this thread and the red 'Diablo LX' decal matches what remained on my bike.

Think I'm going peel off the rest of the plastic covering on the ti tubes and bust out the scotchbrite if needed.

Any idea what the post dia would be on this frame, can't see any markings on the post on it.

Here's a pic after my first spin to work this morning.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,970
I've just trawled all through this thread and not seen one picture of an Odyssey even though they've been talked about a lot.

Here's a shot of mine in the guise of Mrs Ned's cruising machine but it was transformed last year into a more conventional bike and can be seen in action during last years Peaks ride complete with matching period jersey.

I can take a better shot of it in its conventional format if anyone's interested!

Attachments

• PeaksRideSept09.2.jpg
    PeaksRideSept09.2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,937
  • DynaTech08.1.A.jpg
    DynaTech08.1.A.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,937
Back