Fitting a riser bar to stem without a removeable face plate

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I'm not sure that I want to do it but I read somewhere that you can fit a riser bar to a stem that doesn't have a removeable face plate using "some pennies and reversing the bolts".

How on earth does that work and is it good/safe to strech the stem like that?

I guess the only way to know is experiment. I have managed to get riser bars onto stems with no faceplate - sometimes take a bit of 'persuasion'. Depends on how acute the rise is I suppose. Depends on whether your stem is alloy or steel as to how far you can stretch it.... good luck!

with steel stems, i take the bolt out, chuck a 2p in the clamp and pop the bolt in from the wrong side. opens it up nicely.

Thanks guys, don't think I'll have a go just yet but good to know that it is a possible option

Once saw a bike with a set of bars that had a welded brace on them. That meant they'd opened the stem up completely and then forced it back :shock:

PS this is NOT a suggestion :LOL:

It helps if the riser bar has a central shim and the rise is not to high or steep, this way you can manouver the bar in rather than have to bend the whole clamp large enough to get the bulge through.

I've done it a couple of times with my Syncros stem to fit and remove Original Answer Alimilite riser bars (low rise, central shim) as I've gone back to flat Hyperlites. I tried to fit some Lex Ross Shafer bars I have but the rise is to high and I would have had to open the clamp uncomfortably far.

Just cut the bar in half right down the middle, you can then just slide the bits in from each side, you might want to bung a bit of glue in there too, and wrap a pillow around the stem just in case. :)

The Ken":1c7k6emo said:
Just cut the bar in half right down the middle, you can then just slide the bits in from each side, you might want to bung a bit of glue in there too, and wrap a pillow around the stem just in case. :)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha, i can't wait for someone to try that!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Maybe stuff a bit of broom handle in there for good measure. :LOL:

I have done it with my wife's bike, and her bars did have that central shim, I think that is the key. I did it on a Girvin Flexstem, and that has quite a wide clamp. I don't remember forcing it at all. I'll look up the make of bars if you like, although I'm sure each combination varies slightly.

i once got a set of club roost risers into a kalloy uno. anything is possible with a bit of swearing

Back