Giant ATX 990, 990, 980, 970, 900 etc etc

Nad

Retro Newbie
Hi people,

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on the differences between all the ATX 9XX models.

Been after one for years, like the type Warner etc used to ride, I think it was the 990 from memory, remember seeing it on all the old bike vids.

Are some of them just cosmetic or bolt on difference or do the frames differ as well?

I know there was a US version and I think Team Animal used to ride them in blue?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

Nad

Unsure of the differences but have an atx990 pro frame for sale. Yellow front, red rear oh and 18".

Chris.

i "think" original series, yellow front, blue back 990, there were 2 versions, one regular one made by kastan or something (the latter cost loads more), but just for regular models, the 990 vs 980 was a different shock maybe, noleen vs rst, then the 970 had a steel front triangle...

then the secocnd series yellow front, red rear they moved to rock shox shoxs, so the 990 got the top end one, super delux? the 980 got the deluxe...

something like all that anyway... (or i'm all wrong)

In the UK There are 3 versions of the 990 in circulation:

Blue rear end
1067507742.jpg

Red rear end Rob Warner
15-1.jpg
Slough-828-100-500-70.JPG

^^Is that a GT logo on the Tioga disc?! :? ^^

Polished John Tomac. -Check out the cnc where the seat & chainstays meet.
sp_a0318_718.jpg

Later there was a frame only option ATX 900 which took on the yellow/blue rear end. {Que: My creation} and also seems to have team stripes at the front. That might just be a blue rear end thing though.
28287_10150157637490541_717250540_12077016_7685126_n.jpg

And if that isn't complicated enough, go abroad and there are more colours.
Here's a white 970
http://cicloviajes.com.ar/Bicicletas/sl ... 01997.html
Giant%20ATX%20970%201997.jpg

There's also an inverted blue and yellow 990...

Further down we have the 980. There's currently 1, possibly a second for sale on Retrobike at the mo.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107323
dsc00136_895.jpg

And then the 970. This one should have grey RST Mozo's on it.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... nt+970+atx
imagee148_566.jpg

Nad":12ifwcaf said:
Hi people,

I know there was a US version and I think Team Animal used to ride them in blue?

Any input appreciated.

Correct.
It was a kind of sky blue with orange bomber combo. I'll see if I have a picture.

Hi all,

I got given a red rear end one the other day but it has a snapped bolt by the BB pivot. Does anyone know where I can get a spare?

I thought BETD but they say no.

Let me know if anyone can help.

I might be able to help. If memory serves, the frame i'm splitting has a spare pivot but only 1 side. Which side do you need?

I owned this 980..........for a few days! Never did owt with it, as it wasnt really my thing.

Nice frame though.

giant_145.jpg

Dr.Robotnik":y05z9k9p said:
Hi all,

I got given a red rear end one the other day but it has a snapped bolt by the BB pivot. Does anyone know where I can get a spare?

I thought BETD but they say no.

Let me know if anyone can help.

Was that the one I saw 12/28 selling on eBay?
Anyway, I got my scrapper out. I've got both female pivots but you'll need a male bolt that goes through both pivots from the drive Side. Should be a piece of cake to source. I can take one out my 980 and measure. Looks like m6 by 50mm hex bolt.

Back