Does anyone own a Kona Score?

Nice, I have one already, but am using it on my 2005 Kula Deluxe. All those components are going to be switched to a new Kula Supreme scandium (not at all retro, but a nice light xc bike.) I think in the end my ti headset will end up on my Score. I have some pretty heavy duty ti riser bars that would suite it well too. I will definitely post pics when it's done, but have to finish the KK SS first. Should be done in September after my vacation to Van.

Don't think you're overdoing the ti thing at all. I have the forks and bars on the way (from Sibex), a pmp ti seatpost (couldn't get the old syncros I thought I could), a Moots stem in the fall which is on backorder, ti eggbeaters, and saddle with ti rails. I have the same disease as you. Didn't know I could get a ti seat clamp :shock: Keep my eyes out for one. Thanks for the tip there :D

my understanding was that the only difference between the score and the KK was the CNC milled head tube on the score. not true?

and when did they put discs on the KK? my '99 doesn't have them, nor does the '00 in the photo above, and they weren't made much later than these, yes?

stevek: i think we've had this conversation before, but SS KK's are the proverbial bomb, to be sure!

kona.jpg

The CNC milled head and the extra heavy-duty gusset on the down tube (see photo). The geometry is also slightly tweeked, but only a lttle bit. Enough to accomadate an 80mm (KK) or 100mm (Score) fork. The weight difference is about 200 grams depending on the size. My 17" Score weighs in at just over 1800 grams and my 18" KK just over 1600. The main difference is intended usage; the Score being an "out of bounds" bike, which is Kona's classification for a freeride bike. However the OB hardtails are not meant for hucking and huge drops, but slower technical courses with jumps and obstacles. The Score was replaced by the Shred and Scrap DJ bikes in 2001, though they were still classified as OB at the time. I've seen plenty of kids riding these in the North shore, so they can definitely take it. The Score also came with disc tabs. So there are a few differences. The tech I wrote with at Kona still considers the Score an OB bike, and said it might best be compared to the Hoss if it were to be compared to a more recent bike (as opposed to Stuff, Scrap, Shred or the new Caldera.) Hope that wasn't too confusing, but Kona can get confusing sometimes.

I see you have the 17" KK I want :D I've looked at that pic a few times. VERY nice ride you have there! Stevek said that they started putting disc tabs on the KK near the end of production in 2000. Mine doesn't have them, but apparently there are some out there. 2000 was also the last year of production, not including the new line from this year.

The later KK's definitely had disc tabs, I saw one with disc tabs sell on ebay a year or so ago. Not add ons I might add, they were the same as the Score's tabs.

I was as surprised as you about the difference between the KK and the Score, I thought the Score was just a beefier version of the KK until I got my hands on one and could see the difference myself.

Here's a coupla pics of KK's with disc tabs I've found after a little bit of surfing. If you look real close at pics of the year 2000 model you can just see them.

Attachments

• King_Kahuna_Frameset.jpg
    King_Kahuna_Frameset.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 3,069
  • KK.jpg
    KK.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 3,069
The sun's a bit bright today (shouldn't complain!) so the pics are a little glared. Anyway here they are.

Attachments

• KK & Score (3).JPG
    KK & Score (3).JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 2,141
  • KK & Score (4).JPG
    KK & Score (4).JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 2,140
  • KK & Score (5).JPG
    KK & Score (5).JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 2,140
Damn you're right! Can see a tab just above the cassette in the first pic. Pretty cool. No tears though, as mine will be a SS, so no need for the extra weight (of the brake, not the tabs, obviously.) Always good to have options though.

I'm drooling! They are beauties, and totally mint condition. I think the glare of the sun adds a nice effect. You must be a very proud "father." :D

I was always most fond of the Hei Hei due to the lower frame weight versus the KK. I'm sure the preference is clearly defined by your riding style, but IMO the Hei Hei is king...

Attachments

• IMG_1112.jpg
    IMG_1112.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 2,097
  • IMG_1111.jpg
    IMG_1111.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 2,098
I agree it depends on what you're using it for. There's always a compromise between weight and strength, but I agree with Kona's philosophy of never compromising strength for weight. Of course the Hei Hei and the KK are both kickass bikes, and I hardly think the Hei Hei is about to fall apart under you. I would be happy with either one.

Back