Singlespeeding problem with dropouts...

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm new to singlespeeding and am having problems with the quick releases not holding the wheel tight enough such that the chain ends up slack after each ride (or even comes off).

I have semi-horizontal dropouts. Is there a gizmo I can buy which prevents this? Some clever widget, the name of which I know not, that can hold the axle in place? I know on straight (horizontal) dropouts you can have those screws/bolts which hold it all in place, but is there an equivalent for my situation?

The other not so great but workable solution is to use an old mech with the limit screws set to hold it at the correct chain line as a tensioner. Thus you can put the wheel hard against the dropouts to prevent unwanted and painful chain drops.

ps Welcome to singlespeeding - beware it becomes strangely addictive. Been at it since last Chrimbo and my ss is my most used bike. :shock:

As above, bolts are the answer (or perhaps remove the springs from the q/r and do it up stupidly tight?).

cheers guys - I must admit I wasn't sure about SS at first, but am certainly warming to it! Sticking to the commute currently though!

The Ken - that's exactly what I was after, but they won't fit a non-SS frame will they?

hi orange71
what kind of skewer are you using? crappy steel old shimanos clamp down really really tight - mine never shifter when i used to run one. i guess it depends on your weight and brutishness power tho! :D if you've tried this already ill put another vote in for bolt :)

I'm using some Tranz-X purple ones so probably not the best... I have just ordered some of those ones which use an allen key to tighten up to see if that makes a difference. If they don't work I'll try the crappy Shimano ones (I have some lying around) - although they're not exactly bling!! I'll go to solid bolt as a last resort - just reminds me of bikes from when I was young (oooh, don't want to be going back to them!).

Are there some bling solid bolt options?. Also what length bolt do I need? Is it standard?

thats the problem i used to have - nice ones never clamped properly or i was scared of stripping them if i did em any tighter. its not bling at all but it might sort you out for a while until you find a better solution :D

orange71":1vlr7qsm said:
Are there some bling solid bolt options?. Also what length bolt do I need?

Chris king with funbolts? :) for a budget alternative Atomlab do a hub with a solid nutted axle, I run one on the front of my DJ bike and its great.

Back