89 WHEELER PROLINE 5500, Mountain LX Drive Train

I would still love to know why your shifters are worth £12 but my whole bike is only worth £22. you accept that you have made profit on things you have sold, regardless of margin size, surely that makes you a hypocrite. you cant say oh well most of the time its pure altruism and other times well i will make a small profit today i think, but how very dare others make profit

You know i do this for fun, and compared to my professional salary the return i get on my time for fiddling with and selling bike bits is minimal, and it makes no financial sense whatsoever, I have also given free stuff to people cheese, but i dont feel the need to crow about it, and i dont set myself up as some retro bike saint or moral police man.

The prices i put on things are obtained from watching similar items on ebay then pricing my parts lower, which is why i thought people were happy to buy from me, coz they too had researched how much things go for on the bay then also seen that i sold them a lot cheaper and already included postage., all the parts i sell have been cleaned ,well packed,I also go to great lengths to ensure everything is accurately described, I have been honest. etc etc

by your logic how can you justify selling anything you get from the tip, it has no value as it has been thrown away.

I have no intention of keeping the bike, i have no affinity for the bike ,I will break the bike and sell the parts, i dont see anything wrong in that. equally the wheel, it was to get the bike rideable, if there was someone who wanted the bike they could source the exact wheel, the wheel is also a very close match apart from the colour, i.e same rims, same hubs.

Ebay is not a barometer of a things value either IMO, its an auction, it all depends, there is no rhyme or reason to it, had he been willing to post, had the bike two wheels, had he been willing to post to europe , all these things, different description, day its sold etc etc all have a bearing, too many variables.

If you dont like the price haggle or move on, but if your such a right on nice guy why do this, why create the bad feeling, i have never done anything to you, I have no interest, I do not begrudge anyone here making a profit.

If someone sold me some fancy rare Klein for £20, would i not be allowed to sell it for whatever i could get by bringing it to a dedicated market

anyways life really is too short

Alex its cool matey, i could have snapped your hand of and had it all paypalled before any comments were made, but as i said to you, would rather someone has the chance to buy the whole bike at a lot less than what i would have got splitting.

see i do have some morals at least

To jump to charlies defence in this mater, I've seen plenty of people on here get an ebay bargain and then shift it on for a profit (me included :oops: ). If all parties are happy then where is the problem??
I can also vouch for the fact that he's a really decent fella. Only last week he sent me a perfect U-brake for postage cost only :cool:

@LGF...if this is a very clever plot to shame me into selling you my Overbury's at the price I paid for it, then nice try :LOL:

Now come on people....play nice :D

re selling something off you brought from ebay

:D I would like to add that when I was a newbee a got a post looked to Trade for selling something for more than I got it of ebay.

I did point out at the time that no where in Retrobike rules does it state you cant do this.

Ive also since seen several people sell things or split things for more money than they brought them on ebay and said people's posts where not locked to trade, neither was it even mentuned.

I support Charlie in that it was his time and money and if it was a klien or some such people would be snapping his hand off.

I also think that the whole pricing debate sometimes smacks of double standards and I think the rules should state clearly what you can or cant do regarding selling of something you have brought from ebay.

I would also like to say that peeps on here are very friendly and helpful, and I've had several peeps go out of their way to help me!, and some brilliant bargins so go go Retrobike, & good luck Charlie

oh well thanks for the comments either way,. it has been interesting, see i thought that i had took a risk and got a bargain, i would then split make a profit to be able to afford some of the bits i want and need, while having fun along the way. I think it does need to be clarified though.
It was never my intention to con anyone, I always thought that i was selling to people who know the value of the parts, and that this scrutiny by peers ensured prices were the going rate and prevented people being ripped off.

If I sell the chainset alone for £30 someone would still get a bargain in my opinion and every one is happy.

now would anyone like to buy this bike , Bike will be broken over the next few days

cheers and sorry and thanks

Charlieboy

Interesting debate and may I add my 2 penneth.

Firstly the bike is worth every penny that Charlie is asking, its tidy and a bargain for someone wanting a smart hack. I know Charlie well enough- he's a good guy. No problem there.

Now if Charlie had bought it with the intention of keeping it for a while, rode it a little and then decided it wasn't for him and decided to sell it on thats fair- we all buy stuff and decide it's not what we wanted. Again, the asking price is fair- you wouldn't sell a Klein for £30 if thats all you paid for it- you'd be right in expecting a fair market value for it, so again no problem there.

But, and its a big but. As LGF has pointed out, buying something for peanuts, slapping a spare wheel on it and selling it on at quite a mark-up with the sole intention of making a tidy profit is a little rum in my book.

Just because it happens all the time doesn't make it right does it??

I recently bought some forks at market value that turned out to be duff, I was less than pleased to find they had been offered as spares just a week before for less than 50% of what I paid for them. Its blatant profiteering and has no place on a friendly site like retrobike. It causes unneccesary fall outs and bitterness.

If you want to buy and sell for profit use eBay, nothing wrong with that, pay your fees, take your profits (or losses). Please don't abuse the system!

Hi ya Dr S, thanks for that,

it might help if i explain my mental processes and reasoning at the time

my intention from the beginning was to get the bike for the parts, namely for the saddle , which i though had a chance of being leather( its not) and for the U Brake, coz it looked shiney and i had ummed and ahhed with replacing the AD 990 on the 89 Muirwoods, What hadnt been mentioned and what i thought i was being clever at was that it was a lugged steel frame, and i had noticed this from the pictures which in my mind I thought I would be able to sell to the london Fixie crowd, bike polo people etc on ebay, and as im not adverse to putting the effort into posting a bike frame or whole bike for that matter hought i would have little problems selling it, so i thought get a few bits sell the rest.
I had not researched wheeler, and did not expect the components to be much cop tell you the truth.

I also thought the bike was only 25 miles away according to ebay, it turned out to be a 100 mile round trip, again my choice i know

When i picked up the bike the condition of the drive train and quality of the components became apparent, and i became reluctant to break the bike, i see bikes as sort of a bit like living things you see ( silly i know). despite the fact that i knew i could make far more breaking than keeping together.
When iput on the asking price I expected to be haggled from £140 to about £100, then when you take into account the wheel £10 perhaps, the tyre £10, my £20 petrol, the £10-15 to post the bike, the initial price of the bike £22, and the 5-6 hours of time put into the bike collecting 3 hours, cleaning 1 hour, getting box and packing anot,her 1-2 hours, the waiting in for the courier etc, there is no return, there is no profit. perhaps a few quid is all
another part of my reasons was to return some nice quality parts to the fold so to speak,

I told the guy when i got the bike of my likely intention to break it, he said he didnt mind he was just glad that it ws not some kid who was gonna trash the bike in a couple of weeks and dump it

Having done a bit of buying and selling on here, what i know is that i have never made any profit, more often than not i sell things for lower or the same as what i got them for, and the whole point is to accumulate enough in my paypal account for something i want, and to speculate and acummualte, as i too dream of the lovely titanium and top end bikes, there was mention in her on another thread of some guy who got some karma bits to build a bike, then wheeled and dealed til in the end he had two bikes worth £2000, I thought it was acceptable you see.

Anyways, its all left me feeling rather sad tell you the truth and worried about asking for more than i paid for something, i think for us johhny come latelys its harder to get the nice bikes that some have coz the interest in old bikes has made prices a bit silly, and the only way i can get nice part, what with wife kids mortgage etc is to over weeks and months make a tenner here couple of quid there etc. Also always thought i was doing it the right way, everyone i have deat with has been happy with price description service ect.the buying and selling here is the most fun too i think but,lol

oh well

The wheeler is no more anyway, bike has been split and I will be listing the full groupset on ebay.
Truly sorry to anyone i upset

Cheers

Charlieboy :cool: :LOL: :cry: :roll: ;)

Thats a fair and honest explaination Charlie, I'm sure that has cleared up anyones perception of what your aims were. Good luck with the sale of the parts.

Just another quick 'fair play' for Charlieboy, he's sold me stuff in the past and it's been totally top notch - whether he made a profit or not makes bugger all difference - he found it, paid out the cash, took the risk and in this particular case got lucky, but I've seen him shift plenty for less than it's worth to help folks out.

Get a grip.

And maybe check the forum rules:
- Keep commentary on pricing to a minimum - the value of retro parts is very subjective.

- Some 'trading' is acceptable - wheeling and dealing is part of the retro scene.

Latest posts

Back