Bontrager Race Lite SS ?

N10S

Dirt Disciple
I have done a bit of searching, but was wondering if anyone has done a Bontrager Race Lite SS conversion? I want to keep my Ti-Lite as a geared bike and was thinking about running my race Lite as an SS, but was a bit worried it might be too flexy for the torquing that goes on in SS riding. Anyone do this with a Race Lite?

Jeff

yes!

ran my 96 racelite for a long time converted with a surly tensioner - i'm only small/reasonably light and had no problems with its performance.

have seen plenty of larger frames converted too and not heard any complaints yet.

if you read around on mtbr retro forum you should also find details of a magic gear combo which works with all race/race lites - saves you needing a tensioner. sorry can't remember off the top of my head i think it's 36:18...

Thanks for providing confirmation to my question 95bonty. In line with what you mentioned, I recall Gil also mentioning that there was a "magic" freewheel/chainwheel combo that would allow you to run SS without a tensioner. I have been doing some searches but so far have not run across that number so if anyone knows the answer please chime in! I do have Surley chain tensioner, but would prefer not using it if I can avoid it.

Good news on the SS parts front tonight though, I just won a set of bontrager mustang tubeless rims laced to a set of hope ti hubs (one an SS complete with cog). The wheels are both rim brake compatible but come with disc rotors (3 total), the tubeless rimstrips and valve-stems. Got this deal for $111.00 USD which I think is a nice deal for the package.

Jeff

Hi. I run my Bonty as a SS. No problems. I'm not the biggest or most powerful rider, but it works fine. Click the Bonty in my sig for photo ;)

P20

Nice looking bike! Man...you and Gil both have your Bontragers set-up for rear disc..pretty nice deal. I did find a shop here in the US that can braze a disc mount on my ti-lite, but for now I have to settle for the crossmax/ceramic which is pretty grippy, but not close to the bite and modulation of disc brakes of course. I am reminded when I am rolling down the steep rocky sections and the brakes just don't cut-it!!

Thanks again for confirming guys, I feel much better at going down the Bontrager SS path.

Jeff

Well, given my login name, i've given it a good go... Had a race OR but bought a race lite with welded disc mount second hand. Works fine with magic gear of 32:18, 36:18 or 40:18 depending on terrain and how good my legs are feeling! Tight with a brand new chain - you have to either put the chain around the sprocket and chainring with the rear wheel in place but just fowards of the dropout then force it slighly into place, or wrap the chain around the sprocket but not the chainring with the wheel in place correctly then pedal the chain on. After a single ride a new chain has usually stretched enough that the transmission frees up nicely, but probably worth storing with the chain not on the rings so there is no force on the bb/hub bearings. For me this lasts about one winter before the chain stretches too much after it's come off once (or before, when it seems loose, to play safe), swap for a new chain and you're sorted! Allows me to run discs, qr and singlespeed with n fiddly ebb/horizontal dropouts/slotted dropouts and disc mounts.

ian

Here's mine, it's a Race but makes a mighty fine SS......about to sport extra purpleness in the form of some 3DV Paul Love Levers and Onza Chill Pills.....When I get brave I'll put the decals on it :oops:

DSC00393.jpg

Stu

Thanks guys...great info and links on what works to SS a Bonty, as well as some excellent pics of some nice looking Bontragers!! I appreciate everyones response and will make sure and post pics after I get my Racelite conversion in progress.

Jeff :D

Back