1998 Merlin XLM Titanium

saltyman":2y4tvrjf said:
any thoughts on the bike folks?

aint had time to do anything with it yet, i have been really busy, probaly spent less than 30mins with the bike as it lives at my parents.
Yup. Ditch the spaghetti forks , and get some proper ones like these Superflys (?). Only 100gms heavier, but a world apart in steering feel/plushness/ rigidity/damping/looks/reliability/ease of maintenance/etc... ;)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEKERF-Generation ... 255a441fcc

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
i need suspension, my bones cant take it!

the moots is fine rigid as its my hack bike.......jones wont have any bouncy bits either obviously.

this will be my main retro rider, hence suspension and maguras. so comfy to ride, i want it to stay that way.

not sure on the cranks......and i was also thinking of going 1x8?

Nice bike but my eyes on the blue in the 'just arrived photos'! Glad to see that toned down already and suggest, as others have, the following

- risers or flats with barends (although risers look wrong on a Merlin as Jon said)
- swap cranks for something silver and subtle
- swap SIDs for something rigid (if you can't do steel how about some RC31s and a wider front tyre?)

Just thoughts, obviously.

ededwards":c4k5txrm said:
Nice bike but my eyes on the blue in the 'just arrived photos'! Glad to see that toned down already and suggest, as others have, the following

- risers or flats with barends (although risers look wrong on a Merlin as Jon said)
- swap cranks for something silver and subtle
- swap SIDs for something rigid (if you can't do steel how about some RC31s and a wider front tyre?)

Just thoughts, obviously.

that sounds good, yep, advice taken on board ;)

- XTR M950 Chainset
- Flat Ti Handlebar
- Ti Stem
- Lose any other blue ano, just keep the blue of the SIDs and Maguras.

Tallpaul":3v3ri1so said:
- XTR M950 Chainset
- Flat Ti Handlebar
- Ti Stem
- Lose any other blue ano, just keep the blue of the SIDs and Maguras.

best advice yet :cool: though I'd loose the maggies as well.

Back