Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Hopefully, and belatedly after a long absence, I am joining this club on Saturday! Details to follow!

Seems like a good place to ask whether 2.1" section tyres will fit a 1988 Trekker. I'd like to get hold of the reissued Panaracer Smoke/Darts which are only available as 2.1" and the clearances look a bit tight. The Smoke Lites on it at present are 1.9". They won't last forever.

A stunning example of an early Saracen :cool: You have go to love them double u brakes !

I fear a 2.1 could be on the wide side, especially with the lower U brake, what is the current clearance like with 1.9's and I trust your rims are very true ;)

2.1 Smokes have a rather square profile which exaggerates their width slightly. You may get away with a rounder profile 2.1 tyre though. Non spring to mind though.

Thanks both re tyre clearance. I thought it could be a prob, so I'll proceed with caution. Actually I always preferred narrower tyres (roadie background showing) but for old times sake fancied Smoke/Dart. For the moment there are more pressing issues and I'll just have to ration my use of the awesome frame bending power of those U-brakes and my massive sprinterls thighs.

i have two,

both for sale though with very minute that passes your gonna have to try harder for the protrax, first bike in a long while made me twitch,lol :LOL: :cool: :roll:

1997 Saracen Protrax

Mixture of LX and XT. Repro' decals by Gil.

img00299_113.jpg

The more I look at this the more I like. The colour of the frame completely goes with black wall tyres too. My skinny tubed kili frame looks to be very similar and I am itching to get it done and out on the trails.

Are you going to leave it as it is? I think I wouldn't be able to resist meddling and would change to v brakes... :oops:

dendy":2om753gj said:
Are you going to leave it as it is? I think I wouldn't be able to resist meddling and would change to v brakes... :oops:

I had it changed to canti's before buying it! :LOL:

All I need to do is change the stem to something thinner, longer and lower.

:LOL: :LOL: Fair enough..

I can see why you would want a longer and lower stem... Quite compact frames - I'm looking for the right stem for me and my frame as we speak.

Back