Alan Corsa Super Carbonio... REDUX 2/6/10

fingers

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So here it is...

I bought this frame/forks from Wheelnut a while ago, been slowly collecting parts...

Built up at the weekend:

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

So whats it like...

Its a touch flexy, but not too bad, and is quite possibly the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden - on our 3rd world roads it just glides along, and is sooo light - spin smoothly and it goes like the the proverbial off a shovel... Fits like a glove too...

Need to source a new cassette - the one on it is a bitsa campag 8 speed... and the BB seems to short - the chain shifts itself onto the large ring by itself when down the small end of the cassette - suggests to me the chainline is off...

All parts campag athena 8, except chorus BB and headset...

Soon to be added Chorus Chainset and on the lookout for a Chorus/Record 8 sp rear mech.

Cheapo 25.0 seatpost, comfy bonty saddle, ITM bars, stem and tape...

('scuse the poor tape, I havent done it in a while and the red wine effect means I missed a bit! doh!)

Thoughts on a postcard...

Lovely job you've done there with the Carbonio, Fingers. :)

The chain problem is a curious one. I used an almost identical Campag double chainset with that same Chorus BB and never had that problem, although it must be said that I would never attempt to go small ring to small ring or big to big simply because the chain line will be compromised and you lose efficiency.

As for bottom bracket length, you generally want to go as short as you possibly can in order to obtain the optimum chainline. Perhaps the chain you are using is a not flexible enough. If it's old stock, the grease in the link pins may have hardened, making the chain stiff and causing the issues you describe. I would try using a different chain before changing anything else.

Anyway, I'm really pleased that my old Alan has found an appreciative home. Still curious as to its age though. I have a suspicion it might be late 1980s.

Wheelnut":7wtwxg6q said:
Lovely job you've done there with the Carbonio, Fingers. :)

The chain problem is a curious one. I used an almost identical Campag double chainset with that same Chorus BB and never had that problem, although it must be said that I would never attempt to go small ring to small ring or big to big simply because the chain line will be compromised and you lose efficiency.

As for bottom bracket length, you generally want to go as short as you possibly can in order to obtain the optimum chainline. Perhaps the chain you are using is a not flexible enough. If it's old stock, the grease in the link pins may have hardened, making the chain stiff and causing the issues you describe. I would try using a different chain before changing anything else.

Anyway, I'm really pleased that my old Alan has found an appreciative home. Still curious as to its age though. I have a suspicion it might be late 1980s.

My research (and ebay watching) may suggest its early 90's????

Anyway Im not too fussed - Im very impressed with the ride, It goes out first when choosing a roadbike to spin... Sooooo smooth!

I very well remember that frame being up here. Impressive piece. Great you build something nice and enjoyable with it. Will you ride it intensively, as 1st rider? I plan a sort like project, but with electronic gear change. Both the frame and group will build something very exquisite, but for the daily rides I continue to rely on the Koga Pro Am in the 1st place.

I have ridden quite a lot bonded bikes. In general I tend to appreciate their ride charactaristics. Compared to steel -especially criterium- rigs they feel understeered, but long rides can prove to be a joy on them. Most appreciation I find in the interesting and quirky construction and detailing though.

never seen a carbon one in anything but graphite. Me likes!

back to the chain problem. Are you using a 8 speed chain on 9 or 10 speed chainrings? If you are, this could be the source of the problem. Although, it will generally work ok, a wide chain on narrowed chainrings will allow the chain to slop around laterally, most noticible on small ring/small cogs. It doesnt ususally manifest itself into unwanted gear changes, but there will be a noticable tinkling of the chain catching the larger CW's teeth as the chainline is crossing over.

To answer the questions - yes I probably will ride this as a 1st rider, it is very comfortable, and just rolls so well... The detailing on the frame is exquisite, a real pleasure to own.

It does feel smoother than the colnago master I also own, I suspect the gilco tubes contribute to the rigid feel there...

The drivetrain issue occurs with 8 and 9 speed chains... I have noticed the outer ring is a stronglight, so will be trying a set of campag rings on there soon...

Ill let you know how I get on!

Chainset issue solved...

Bought a chorus chainset (w campag rings) and it seems to sit slightly further out... Result - better chainline, no snagging and perfect shifts!

The looks rather good! I have a 23" Alan and it too was/is very comfortable. I think I'm going to need some new forks for mine. I wonder what other forks would look good on an 80s Alan?

Yours looks the business!

Latest posts

Back