Tubs: should I do it or not?

lorenzo

Dirt Disciple
A week or so back I bought myself some tubs, Mavic rims and campy record hubs, all with a 5 speed freewheel. The thing is though, I didn't actually read the description too well (or at all, it would seem) and didn't realise they were tubs until the day they turned up. I've never actually used tubs before and I'm not 100% certain that I want to especially. So, somebody tell me why I should, or why I shouldn't. My biggest reservation is regarding punctures: I don't like the idea of spending £40 on a new tube everytime I hit a nail etc, and also don't like the idea of being stuck out and about somewhere without being able to simply pull my tyre off and fix it at the side of the road. I do like the idea of the bike being a nicer ride, but really, I'm a very average rider, will I notice the difference? I'm sure that I can get some clincher rims for a similar price to these and spend half the amount on tyres and know that I'll be able to maintain them for years to come. Discuss....

Although you can carry a spare Tub and simply roll the punctured one off and roll the new one on, repairing a tub is a fiddly business. Tubs are best off on competition racing bikes.
Clinchers are far easier to manage, plus you can get really good tyres nowadays unlike in the 70's or early 80's where your 5 speed campag hub comes from.
If you want to keep those 5 speed hubs and you are any good at lacing a wheel, I'd get some clincher rims, else sell them.

Tubs

clinchers are more user friendly for the average cyclist for everday cycling and there are some nice light tyres and tubes.

for timetrials and cyclo cross tubs are the best as a fast pair of wheels and tubs are wonderful to ride

in cross if you puncture you can carry on riding till you reach the pits whereas with clinchers its a case of get off and run.

to repair tubs ,you have to be careful, as the design of tubs has changed.
originally they had an innertube with the tyre sewn around the tube at the bottom and then a base tape.
the new method does not have an innertube and really is a tubeless tyre.
with the tube type you have to open up the tub repair the tube and re-sew it back up, not for the inexperienced, there is a great guy in yorkshire who repairs them professinally.
the later tubeless type are repaired using a moose like for car tyres, available from bike shops or even a big tin from halfords but you need a schrader/presta adapter, jusgt fill the tub up and ride it and it should self seal.

Tubs are generally more puncture resistant IME, particularly against pinch flats. I was racing at the weekend on a particularly rough road circuit - on 2 laps the riders using clinchers following me punctured hitting potholes whereas I had no problems running tubs. You can also use a sealant inside some tubs e.g. Tufo which is pretty effective against smaller punctures. I find I can get 2 years out of a decent tub, which is better than some clincher tyres, with the benefit of the ride and feel.

Firstly I reckon that only tubs go with old racers. After all thats what was used to race on. Nowadays modern clinchers work well and many of the advantages of tubs have gone. However if we were worried about that we woudn't be here but on some modern bike forum. You do really need 3 as a punture on the road is generally unfixable although a aerosol tyre fixant can work. Easy to replace on the road and if well organised as fast or fater than with a clincher. Glue rather than tub tape helps here I reckon. You can get cheap ones ie 15 quid and they are not bad really although nothings as nice as a expensive silk one. A old style bike shop may have them kicking around for bugger all. I buy pairs of wheels just for the in situ tubs at about a tenner a pair. Mending most tubs is easy with care . Best done in front of an old cycling film. Use waxed linen thread, try a cobblers or just a fabric shop. Work out where you think the punture is, you may be wrong, and carefully nick the thread nearby with a pointed knife. Keep going until you get to the inner and then in water check if you have found the hole. Patch it using thinish patches and pinching the thread holes together , reuse them to copy the stiching patten. Its not hard really. Overlap a good few stitches.
To be honest you can have just as good a ride on modern wheels but is thst the point. Bear in mid that to my recollection the 700c wheel only really appeared in clincher form in the UK around 1980 so anything before this should have tubs or 27" wheels. ( This is based on the fact that I started time trials in 1980 and was advised by all to buy tubs to replace my 27"ers as the new fangled Michelin Elan tyre in that odd continental size was never going to catch on. I may be wrong of course)
Use the tubson a bike that suits them and go the whole hog with your retroness.

Many thanks for the replies, all food for thought, but I've come to the conclusion that it's a decent clincher that I'm after.

Back