Vino: Positive Drugs Test

Bile

It's just gotten insane.... I so wanted to love this Tour and now they've gone and selfishly ruined it (again)...

Surely we, the spectators, are stakeholders in the Tour - and on that basis we should be able to sue the participants for misleading us for so long??

How can they think for one moment they were going to get away with it? Are they nuts? Do they think we're stupid?

For pity's sake, everyone (spectators, sponsors, bike manufacturers etc) spit in the soup until there's more spit than soup... Let's face it, the riders can't seem to help themselves.

Mr K

I still love the tour, its cool to see how fast roadies totally pumped full of drugs can go :LOL: kinda reminds me of when top gear fitted nitrous oxide to that old jaguar. :LOL: contrador must be pretty chuffed... assuming he doesnt fail a test as well.. :LOL:

Re: Bile

mrkawasaki":3belhm9u said:
Surely we, the spectators, are stakeholders in the Tour

We sure are and this year we have thrown out the leader, Ras was not found guilty of using drugs, his sponsors obviously didn't like the booing this morning and threw him out using something they knew a few weeks ago,

Its a great event to watch, but hell, how many drug scandals can it take??

Just gonna look shit poor to anyone with a passing interest in cycling, will be known as the drug sport for some time.
if they hit some other sport for a bit, would take the focus away and show that it is sport in general with a problem not just cycling as it seems to be portrayed.

Now Cofodis and Rasmussen too. Last man riding wins!

gump":2xm88sit said:
Its a great event to watch, but hell, how many drug scandals can it take??

Just gonna look shit poor to anyone with a passing interest in cycling, will be known as the drug sport for some time.
if they hit some other sport for a bit, would take the focus away and show that it is sport in general with a problem not just cycling as it seems to be portrayed.

Now Cofodis and Rasmussen too. Last man riding wins!

Agree with Gump. It's all a real shame. Events like this impact the entire sport of cycling.

Not sure I find any of this funny unlike some :evil:

Not funny at all.. You have to feel for blokes like Wiggins too after his team Cofidis was forced out..

Bradley Wiggins":3v790lf5 said:
"It's pretty gutting to leave the Tour de France but everyone knows where I stand. It is really annoying when you are clean. I have nothing to hide. It is just pure stupidity on the part of Moreni. I just don't know how he slipped through the net. It makes you think about your future as a professional. You ask what is the point? I could be doing better things than pissing about like this."

Once again, the good guys suffer.. :roll:

This may come out sounding a bit crass as I’m not a great watcher of sports and rarely get time to watch the tour, and it is not in defence of drug users. But…..

I often think that in today’s sporting world, and I’m including sport over the last 30 years or so, sports personalities have been placed on such a high pedestal and are constantly being expected, more and more, to become super heroes, they are expected to constantly break world records and to perform greater feats of endurance in order to keep the public happy, and I bet in high profile sport, there is even greater pressure from sponsors, coaches, team members as well as the fans. It seems, therefore, coming from a bit of a naïve person where competition sport is concerned, that drug taking has become an inevitable part of modern sport.

I do think it is very sad that sport has become drug fuelled, if not for the dangers it poses to the highly trained bodies of the athlete but that there is so much pressure to be everyone’s sporting super hero and claim the ultimate super human prise

I was reading the Matt Rendell book 'The Death of Marco Pantani' last night (and have previously read 'Breaking the Chain' by Willy Voet about the Festina scandal with riders diluting their blood to get their haematocrit levels down etc.). Although I haven't got to the end I'm deep into all the drug related controvesy relating to Pantani's career and his apparent self deception (do they all do that? It appears so). From what I've read all Pantani's pro career was tainted with EPO, human growth hormone or both so his super human feats in the mountains were just that - superhuman.

The book also mention numerous other cyclists from the era who tested positive for one thing or another - it's all thoroughly depressing.

And now Rasmussen is gone Contador is in the lead, the same Contador who was named in the Operation Puerto affair (but was apparently not followed up as he is a star witness). Perhaps I should just treat the Tour as fiction rather than sport?

I'm trying not to be too cynical but are ALL professional cyclists involved? It is increasingly difficult to conclude otherwise - I'd like to think not about riders such as the admirable Bradley Wiggins but am I just being naive or possibly xenophobic - a nice British boy would of course tell the truth but would I be so ready to 'trust' an Italian or Spanish rider? I must point out that I have absolutely no reason to believe that Bradley Wiggins is not clean.

Really, really depressing.

Pantani had a naturally high red blood cell. When he broke his leg is 199? . The doctors were amazed by his red blood cell count. Even when he was in hospital with no drugs in him he was still over the UCI upper limit. Only once he had died people started considering that his RBC count was naturally high.

at least on the tour , they are doing test and catching cheaters .
nothing happens in other sports .

Latest posts

Back