Tubs

perry

Retrobike Rider
I have a Colnago in work for a "service" and foolishly didn't spot the tubular tyres when I booked the thing in :oops:

They need to be reglued which I wont have a problem doing , but I'd like to know the quickest and easiest way to remove the crap off the rim .

I'd love it if one of you guys could say something like " use ... , you will have some under the sink " and not " spend the week chipping at it with a flat screwdriver " :LOL:

I'll try and rummage up a pic , poor thing looks like it's seen some use before being shoved in the loft .

just remove the tubs and soften up the old glue with petrol then add another coat off glue

leave it for 24 hours add another coat and refit the tub.

As Orbeas says, basically scrape off all the surplus dried up crap and try to get the surface reasonably level. Some petrol or similarly based solvent will probably help but it might depend on what the old glue is. Old Dunlop will definitely be affected by petrol etc. but not sure about Clement etc.

I use a brass wire brush ( for spark plugs I think ). Mount the wheel in a truing stand , jam jar of petrol and get scrubbing. Still have to chisel off the harder lumps with a piece of alloy strip. Don't know if this would work on anodised rims.

Cheers chaps . When I pulled at the front tub it turned out to be lightly stuck on with tape , which means I can tape them back on instead of having to glue . But there was old glue still on the rims so I soaked them in white spirit and scraped it off with a small spoon , had them both done in an hour . Just waiting on the tape in the post and hopefully I'll find out today what the lady wants doing about her shifters , the clamp on the tri bar extensions is broken so she either needs to find a replacement or put the shifters back on the downtube .

Back