Another bloody Yo!

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Apolgies but here's another Yo - everyone has one (or two) these days. That said it's an XL which I suppose makes it a bit different.

I got it off eBay in an impulsive moment and although Customs charges were a pain it did come with two top notch spare rear wheels (not sure why but when the hubs are Phil Wood and Hugi and the rims Mavic, one of them a ceramic, who cares; oh, and an XTR cassette).

As the weather is awful I've given it a clean as it was a little dirty and quite scratched up - the Mavic sticker on the chainstay is covering the worst scratches. Added bar ends, swapped saddle and stem and swopped in the tyres but that's it really. Only ridden on the road so far, about to go for a ride as it has finally stopped raining but not on this as the woods are super filthy.

Sorry that the photo is such poor quality, paint is actually a nice purple to blue fade that I'm sure would have come out well if it was sunny - oh.

Not at all sure about the forks, want to go with rigid really but finding the right FAT forks with a long enough steerer and not stupid money may be a real stretch. Any thoughts? (Or anyone want to swap these Bombers with seriously long steerer for something rigid - the Bombers work fine by the way).

Attachments

• Yo XL.JPG
    Yo XL.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,834
What about a pair of modern P2's, only £50? The new ones that have got the suspension correction (there longer in the legs). You could probably paint them to match the frame.

I had a pair of the 'modern' P2s and the legs weren't actaully longer (although they looked it when I bought them).

The extra length is from a little 'wishbone' between the crown and where the lower headset race sits - I'm not describing this very well but they looked like a tuning fork had been fitted to the bike! No problem with the function, but just not for me.

I guess what I am thinking of fork wise is something like some RC30s, Switchblades, that sort of thing. Perhaps I could get a frame builder to make some BOI-a-likes?

Nice Ed. Agree on the forks - I'd get in touch with Dave Yates for some some nice Fat repros....

Thanks Kev.

I e-mailed Dave Yates last night and got a reply this morning at 8.30 a.m. - bloody impressive service!

The rough quote for some BOI-a-like forks is £200+ and then an additional £30 or so for painting. I'll have a further look round and see what else I can find but if anyone else has any suggestions that would be great.

Nice bike ed, its a Yo so goes without saying really :)
wow, £200+paint :shock: for forks
Not sure what I would expect, but seems a tad high to me

Never thought I would say this but cheaper to buy Jezs' ;)

ededwards":envw13yg said:
Thanks Kev.

I e-mailed Dave Yates last night and got a reply this morning at 8.30 a.m. - bloody impressive service!

The rough quote for some BOI-a-like forks is £200+ and then an additional £30 or so for painting. I'll have a further look round and see what else I can find but if anyone else has any suggestions that would be great.

GBP200 isn't too bad for a custom set of forks, if you were to buy a new set of decent sus forks it'd be more than that hey [a somewhat pointless analogy :? ].. And painted too.. In the same colour I presume?

Is Rody the man to see on here for BOI forks?

Have now sorted some RC30s, not quite BOIs but similar in style and as the bike will be a regular rider should be just the job.

That said, a Yo without BOIs won't really be quite the same and I may try again to get some repros if I eventually respray although cost of respray, decals and forks will be only just shy of total bike cost as is!

Back