FS: Vintage Shimano 600 Seatpost - Polished Up - RealPretty!

Cheesedisease

Senior Retro Guru
Shimano 600 Aero Seatpost - Polished

Not sure of the exact model anymore, it was the version with a printed logo on the front rather than engraved.

27.2mm

135mm usable length (approx, measured from rails to max insertion point) -

220mm overall length

290g

I've hand polished this to a high polish and it looks really nice. Close to mirror polish, I can see myself clearly in it, most definitely in the aero section, but polised by hand so still has some small nicks, scratches etc. It looses it's brightness and shinyness and reflection a bit in the pictures; a cliche I know - but it really does look better in the flesh! It does though still have some deeper marks that aren't able to be polished out, one particular zigzag one, but has been 'smoothed' out and is bright from polishing and don't look bad in my opinion. And below max mark, I confess I've not bothered to polish up fully! Phew, pause for breath...!

So yeah, don't expect a perfect post, but it really is pretty lovely.

Not sure on what these are value-wise. I think it deserves 25 pounds posted (in UK, elsewhere at cost)
(Will take honest advice on this if too high. But since I've taken time to polish it seems not too bad)

Thanks for looking, check the pictures for a decent idea.

Attachments

• 600_post_2.jpg
    600_post_2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 2,775
  • 600_post_1.jpg
    600_post_1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2,775
Thanks, yeah it's a pretty decent job!

Just 'wet and dry' paper. Fine to very fine grit. 1200 - 9000. And then Simichrome polishing paste. Works well to then polish a few times with the paste, elbow grease, and finally a clean cloth to get any dark residue from the paste to dissapear as it can sit in scratches and spoil the over all look. Still some scratches on this, also important to recognise what isn't worth trying polish right out, ie too deep, the higher the grit you can get away with starting with the less work!

This was my first polishing attempt. Did an old Super Record Strada crank this way, looks particularly nice. Too me this way is time consuming but beats the mess a polishing machine makes as I need to do it in my house!

Didn't seem to be any interest in this. So stuck it on ebay starting at 15 if anyone is interested and wants to see if it goes a bit cheaper.

Back