1991 Proflex 950

Yvo

Dirt Disciple
Hello!

I am more a reader on this forum but this week i found this 1991 Proflex 950 on the web and bought it today for 50 euro's (from the first owner, in my home town). The bike is in a nice original condition and equiped with Shimano XT, Sun rims and a nice USE seatpost. Of course the rearshock is no more so the previous owner solved it with a metal ring witch transformed the bike into a hardtail. The Girvin Flex Stem is working well. Overall i'm very happy with it! :)

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

That is very very nice, fantastic condition too :D

You can soon fix the rear suspension hopefully Legrandefromage will be along shortly to teel you how, if not I will find a link to the thread with the info in ;)

To the best of my knowledge its a 1990.

Thanks guys! Just found out (thanks to some catalog scans from this forum) that it is a 1991 model.

Retro Smurf: that is a really good and funny solution for solving the rearshock problem. :D Next week i go to some bicycle shops to see if i can find a (cheap) lady's saddle with those suspension parts. Thanks!

of26.jpg

of27.jpg

Yvo":1yck6mgq said:
Thanks guys! Just found out (thanks to some catalog scans from this forum) that it is a 1991 model.

Retro Smurf: that is a really good and funny solution for solving the rearshock problem. :D Next week i go to some bicycle shops to see if i can find a (cheap) lady's saddle with those suspension parts. Thanks!

of26.jpg

of27.jpg

your most welcome :D

lovely condition for twenty years old, used to droool over these at ultrasport uk importer BITD.
Would love a 550 from the same year

Hi
Thrilled to find this info on the OFFROAD Brand.

Is it OFFROAD or Pro Flex? Looks American with all those big nuts on the stem.
Just picked up one of these in New Zealand.
It similar but somewhat different in colour and styling .
Alloy section of the revolution style Frame has a reinforcing web from rear of the top bar to seat post.So top tube could be lower to allow this
Cush elastomer on rear suspension may be different or bits missing as it has no recoil component, just a recessed cap headed screw, accordingly there is up to 2cm of free play once your weight transfers onto the front and it hits metal making the ride irritating.I tried it out with some sundry 26" wheels I had. This rear section part has to be fixed or modified [ improved /stepwise refinement ( :].
It is fitted with Manitou (2) forks maybe cold be Manitou (1) but the ones with the arcane brake boss bridge and purple/black/ white Easton graphics contrasted with the cantilever brake arms.. I compared these Manitou forks to others Manitou Sports [Easton] forks I have and they are in the same early dismantleable style[black silver graphics].
Elastomers have gone to sludge and require new kits or turn up new ones from Lurethane.
No wheels with it but I have some similar Sun rims but these may have fewer spoke holes than 36.
Colour is different than yours. Front alloy section is dark green translucent met[ yes that nice colour that indicates style] phasing into purple translucent met on the rear suspension component. graphics are similar but Pro flex 950 design is different Deore chainset and hand levers.
The proflex stem is different more in the style of a conventional threadless stem but the big stem nuts and copper ano stem bearing cap is the same.
It is badged as an OFFROAD Pro Flex 950.
Has rivetted on cable guides and some are welded.Similkar to a GT Zaskar or Pantera cable guide on early 90 -93 models.
Have not inspected it fully yet but no frame numbers noted as yet.
These must have been prototypes of the contemporary period of Full Suspension bikes ?
The Revolution style frame came into vogue in the late 80s. That is with the hanging chainwheel set from the front frame . Something canned that idea? Maybe International Competition regulations? A case in point; was the recumbents cleaning up all the traditonal framed bikes in the Tour De France years ago.
What are your frame numbers if it is a 91 I may be able to make some sense of mine
I will post some pictures soon.
Looking forward to getting both front and rear forks fixed and trying it out to its full potential

Yvo said:
Hello!

I am more a reader on this forum but this week i found this 1991 Proflex 950 on the web and bought it today for 50 euro's (from the first owner, in my home town). The bike is in a nice original condition and equiped with Shimano XT, Sun rims and a nice USE seatpost. Of course the rearshock is no more so the previous owner solved it with a metal ring witch transformed the bike into a hardtail. The Girvin Flex Stem is working well. Overall i'm very happy with it! :)

1.JPG

You own a 1991 Offroad Pro Flex 950. Offroad and pro Flex is the same brand. They had problems with the name and they used the pro flex name since 1992.
Was a brand from the East Coast of USA, founded by Bob Girvin. You can find a lot of info of the brand at idriders.com

I've just received a NOS set of bushings and spacers for a 1991 550 model. Very very difficult to find.
I cant post some pics of them.
You can adapt some cane creek LT thudbusters tough. They fit very well with a few of job.

If you need mor info you can PM me for it.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back