Daft question nr 1 - long cage & short cage

thejackal

Retro Guru
What is the difference between short cage rear derailleurs and long cage rear derailleurs? Apart from th obvious.

I am looking at buying a new rear mech and am confused by the cage length issue.

Help greatly appreciated.

I think it's to do with your 'spread' of gears i.e. if you have a wide range of rings at the front and sprockets at the back (like most MTB's) then a long cage can cope with this better than short cage (which tend to be used by roadies).

I may be completely wrong though... it's just that was my assumption!

couldn't have said it better myself :D I always buy short cage rear mech if offered.

whats the mech going on and whats the ratios front and rear (ie rear cassette 11-32 front rings 22-32-42) il give ya an answer to your problem ps what mech is it buddy :cool: :cool: :cool:

(large chainring - small chainring)+(large rear cog - small rear cog)= chain wrap capacity

what kinda derailleurs you lookin to get?

yeah but if hes only running a 32 up front and 11-32 he might as well just use a short cage mech any more up front the long cage will be easier for shifting sounds weird but true

cannondale king":16qq7azs said:
yeah but if hes only running a 32 up front and 11-32 he might as well just use a short cage mech any more up front the long cage will be easier for shifting sounds weird but true
single ring?

Corduroyboy":3odua49j said:
Short cage looks cooler.
:cool:

(You shouldn't be using Big-Big anyway!) :p

They sure do look :cool: plus a WHOLE 1-2oz lighter :LOL: :LOL:

Back