JONES Titanium SpaceFrame 23” & Fat Truss (circa 2010)

neil7":1h9mgf7x said:
How can you knock it until you've tried it. So many negative waves so late in the day, yawn.

Haha, to each his own :D
Its not as if we are trying to talk him into buying one. :cool:

Attachments

• bbkotsJones.jpg
    bbkotsJones.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 2,588
neil7":1vmrrv6x said:
The saddle is a Proust 3.3, it swivels to counter any initial tendancy to fall forward. The theory behind it is sound although hard to describe, for me it was worth trying as I had different problems with lower back and knees. the seat took me a long time to get used to but was worth it.

Rigid singlespeed seems an odd choice of bike if you've got back and knee problems! Especially when you're getting no change out of ten grand.
I like the workmanship and obvious thought that goes into these bikes, but I've got to say they are pig ugly and stratospheric in price! Beauty, however, is in the eye of the beholder.

The Jones is usually used with gears, hence the front mech and shifter left in place while trying out the single gear. For me suspension on a bike did nothing for any back issues I've had, bumps from the ground are not the problem, it is the position my lower spine is forced to adopt using any regular seat hence the Proust saddle. My choices have been arrived at by trying and using many types of set up and bike types, mainly road bikes not on a fashionable whim because I had 10 grand burning a hole in my pocket. With the diagnosed knee issues I now have I am on borrowed time with regard to riding which is what pushed me to sell up some excellent custom made road bikes and change direction to try the only inspiring Mtb I've seen in years while I have the chance. For me the best aestetic qualities come from form following function, the look is just a byproduct of the intented purpose. To judge something primarily on its looks does seem a bit short sighted in terms of bike design.

neil7":1cc4h5xw said:
aesthetic qualities come from form following function, the look is just a byproduct of the intended purpose. To judge something primarily on its looks does seem a bit short sighted in terms of bike design.

Well, Jeff Jones does not think that his bikes are objects of beauty, even more so, he insists that there is nothing in the Spaceframe because of looks. Everything there is function driven, and if you carefully go over the frame, you will see that. Now, as i wrote in the opening statement, it took me a while to see these things, but once you see them, you see bikes in a very different way.
Spaceframe's beauty is different than a traditional, "lickedover", smoothed and color coordinated frame design. Tube manipulation on these frames all function directed. But I also find these bikes (Spaceframes) beautiful, but like many ppl said before, its all in the EYE.:D

Jeff Jones Bikes will be (one of 6 builders) exhibited in Museum of Arts and Design (NY) The exhibition features bicycles by: Mike Flanigan, Alternative Needs Transportation (A.N.T); Jeff Jones, Jeff Jones Custom Bicycles; Dario Pegoretti, Pegoretti Cicli; Richard Sachs, Richard Sachs Cycles; J. Peter Weigle, J. Peter Weigle Cycles; and Sacha White, Vanilla Bicycles.
http://collections.madmuseum.org/code/e ... lse/,/true

Neil, you should post more pics of your bike :D

XCDave, thanks for the link, and yes I've tried this kind of thing, especially applied to road bike to an obsessive degree. Its a worthwhile thing to do but although I can work around the damage on my lower back quite well my kneecaps simply do not have a proper groove to run in (Trochlea Dysplasia) which makes for an unstable joint and one of the results is Chrondromalacia. I have certainly learnt alot over the last few years establishing what can and can not be done, even medical professional's opinions vary alot on this subject, so I take the approach of doing what I can while I can and be happy about it.

Back