SEATPOST AND STEM REMOVAL PROBLEM.ANYONE HELP

cipolinni

Old School Grand Master
Trying to remove seat post and stems from steel frames
Anyone help or any tips
The frames are knackered,so not needed
Cipo

I haven't tried it myself but I've heard that turning it upside down and soaking it in coca-cola will help free it up!

Personally I would soak it in something like WD-40 over a couple of days.

If you don't need the frame/s then just cut the frame up to get them out. I used a pipe cutter and hacksaw to remove a C-Record seatpost from an old 531 frame before....

Heat and plenty of it. either buy a blow torch, or if your other half isn't in put it over the gas ring on the cooker, and get it as hot as you can for about 15 minutes and let it cool. This may or may not knacker any brazing that's round there though, but it'll certainly free things that penetrant sprays won't. Incidentally, WD40 is a bit rubbish in this respect, try to track down some 'plus gas' spray, it's a good bit better, but still not as effective as a bit of heat.

stem

Thank you to all posts for the removal of stems etc
The heat option is the best,so a special thanks to lorenzo
just got one of our technicians at work to heat up and remove,bloody hot to handle though
Spot on guys
Cipo

Heat usually does the trick.

Here's another method in case of future need:

If you plan to have the frame repainted and don't want the seatpin, fill the seat tube with caustic soda solution, replacing the solution every 24 hours or so. Within a week the seat tube will have dissolved in the caustic solution. It will also dissolve paint but doesn't affect the steel frame. This is a slow but good method as there's no risk of damaging a precious frame. You'll need to block up the lower end of the seat tube first. Best not to try this method with an alloy frame though...

Do a search on the subject, there must be a gazillion threads from this year alone offering advice on this subject.

Back