1939 DX Schwinn Ace -- Finished

Dr. S":21cx2z2u said:
That reminds me that i have to turn down a new seatpost for mine. It got bent chasing the DH boys down Innerleithen Black Run last summer Laughing

Looking good. Any more progress?

Pretty impressive bending a solid aluminum rod!

Progress wise, I still need handlbars and a few miscellaneous things. I'm 95% sure I'll go with the Skullskates cruiser bar like you.

For the frame, I need a bit of brazing done followed by paint.

Off with those stinkin' drop-stand tabs :D

P1110164.jpg

J_Westy":3r0jgqgi said:
I'm 95% sure I'll go with the Skullskates cruiser bar like you.

I came across another mid-school Answer Alumilite cruiser bar for this bike. It's sturdier than the last one -- this one is 7075 with a thicker cross-section. The rise and rake worked well for me at my height on the Fleet, so I decided to go with a known configuration... plus the price was right.

P1110171.jpg

P1110172.jpg

P1110173.jpg

Stencils arrived in the mail today from ebayer oldstuff4yousheepdog

Still waiting for the LBS to finish a small brazing repair on the frame...

P1110174.jpg

J_Westy":2ooc1ekh said:
Then, I need a bit of brazing done followed by paint.

I had the brazing done on the seat-stay cross-brace, so I did the old "string and 2x4" trick to spread the rear dropouts. I clamped the frame to my railing to hold her steady.

The spreading went well except I slightly cracked the other side of the cross-brace, so it's back to the shop for a 2nd round of brazing :x

P1110175.jpg

P1110176.jpg
[/quote]

Doh!

Is that a custom made jig?

Tell your LBS to get a move on, there's people waiting to see this thing built. :roll:

al. :D

al":2phe8ouf said:
Doh!

Is that a custom made jig?

Just string. The idea is to wrap a string around the headtube and down to each drop out. Then spread the dropouts with 2x4 until the desired width is reached and the string is the same distance from each side of the seat tube. I think this method came from somewhere on Charlie Kelly's site, but I could be wrong. See:

http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

GoldenEraMTB":2phe8ouf said:
great read, this thread...love the amount of DIY's a proper klunker requires.

No problem. Building these has been/is a lot of fun because of the freedom.

But for a "proper klunker" one must be referred to Alan Bonds and his site: http://clunkers.net/

Back