Kona Kilauea 1996 respray and rebuild

kaledi

Old School Hero
Hi all,
This will be my first project. Until recently I'd been riding my 1996 Kilauea as my main bike, but have now bought a FS Kona and have decided that the Kilauea is too good a frame to sell or lock away in the garage.
Therefore, I've decided some TLC is overdue and have decided to give it a respray and eventualy a rebuild.
Given I'm going to the expense of a respray, I was thinking of doing something a bit different. I was originally thinking of a yellow/blue fade, in a satin metalic finish, akin to the 96 paint jobs, but having spoken to Argos, they say that metalic yellow doesn't work very well (I have to say I can't think of many metallic yellow bikes).
The fade style I was thinking of would be similar to the custom hot, where the fade occurs just to the edge of the Kona/kilauea decals. I don't plan on having the spots incorporated.
So what I am struggling with is the choice of colours. I really like the deep blue seen on the Hot below, and think this would go well at the back of the bike, but I'm not keen on the green, therefore does anyone have any suggestions for a colour possibly a yellow/mustard/different green, or another blue?
I really like the green seen on another Kilauea but not sure it would 'go'.
Also, I'm sure I stumbled on a 2-colour fade respray Kona just recently but cannot find the post?
Suggestions are welcome.

Having trouble uploading attachements so will re-post photos.

Attachments

• PICT9379_resize.jpg
    PICT9379_resize.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,988
  • PICT0005 (2)_resize.jpg
    PICT0005 (2)_resize.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,986
  • 03hot_resize.JPG
    03hot_resize.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,983
  • bike001.jpg
    bike001.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 1,975
oh snap :shock: thats a lovely blue :!:

i wish i had a kilauea in this colour.

what size is it?

regards

mine is the bottom 2 shots and it is the 96 model in 17". The top one is from another forum member.

i thought of the bottom one :D

the original paint is so lovely.

if i only could find a 19" in this awesome colour :p

i really like your build!!! love the grey judy xc in it - really fits.

thank you for the positive words. That build lasted me more than 10 years, though there were a few years where I didn't ride. When that shot was taken I'd changed the R/D, and shifters and that is about it.

I plan on a repray and then outfitting it with a mixture of old and new. New drive train, headset (ahead to fit the P2 TB I've bought) and old, keep the Syncros post, I've an old ahead Syncros stem etc.

I plan selling the old gear I don't want, including the Judy's, Impact h/s etc.

The colour as you say is lovely, but from afar it doesn't look much, and it is only up close or in good light you see the depth.
I may try and replicate this colour for the repray and have a gold fade with it to make the bike stand ouot (and decals stand out too) a little more than it currently does.

Back