RetroBIKE general guide to stubborn bottom bracket removal

damian":3d2q3qyl said:
I've got a seized Shimano BB on my Bear Valley SE, I've done exactly that and the bloody thing still won't move, even a subtle application of heat and plenty of penetrating spray hasn't helped. Anymore suggestions?

My LBS puts an impact wrench on the same park tool as above... he does a lot of business fixing craigslist "finds" for people... he knows! :cool:

FWIW, I think it might be safer than a long lever on a breaker bar which might bend your frame.

pl250298.jpg

J_Westy":2l27wzv5 said:
damian":2l27wzv5 said:
I've got a seized Shimano BB on my Bear Valley SE, I've done exactly that and the bloody thing still won't move, even a subtle application of heat and plenty of penetrating spray hasn't helped. Anymore suggestions?

My LBS puts an impact wrench on the same park tool as above... he does a lot of business fixing craigslist "finds" for people... he knows! :cool:

FWIW, I think it might be safer than a long lever on a breaker bar which might bend your frame.

pl250298.jpg

I think I know a man with one of those!

quality tools sir, quality tools.

Ooooh... I'd still prefer to use a quality tbar and not a quality ratchet... Good tip though!

Mind you that looks like a Snapon wrench? Do they still replace broken tools for free?

legrandefromage":1oeogmt5 said:
damian":1oeogmt5 said:

you sure you are doing it right?

I even tried it out on some really knackard frames without failure

Yes, the frame well and truly flexed as I tried to on numerous occasions hence the application of heat etc.

I'm just offering advice based on my own experience in dismantling bikes using non expensive methods for the average cycle mechanic.

Anything else is just muddying the waters.

My ratchet hasnt broken, in the ten years since I bought them

The bar was handy

Spanners can round the the tool or themselves.

legrandefromage":3sutmfvj said:
I'm just offering advice based on my own experience in dismantling bikes using non expensive methods for the average cycle mechanic.

And that's exactly what I am and advice like this is invaluable! Cheers LGF!

I have employed the method of tool in the vise, use the frame for leverage, on BBs that wont shift using a ratchet handle. Has the benefit of being able to rock back and forth to help crack the initial bond. Both methods have merits, and this is just my prefered version, and possibly the way to go if your ratchet handle might spit it if you used a couple of foot of extension pole!

ozpete":jtogd1sq said:
I have employed the method of tool in the vise, use the frame for leverage, on BBs that wont shift using a ratchet handle. Has the benefit of being able to rock back and forth to help crack the initial bond. Both methods have merits, and this is just my prefered version, and possibly the way to go if your ratchet handle might spit it if you used a couple of foot of extension pole!
I've always used the tool in the vice approach, too.

finally found the pic,

volvo 850 R tow bar moved it in the end.

Attachments

• DSCN0114.JPG
    DSCN0114.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 2,934
Back