Carbon fibre Giant two-speed (manual shift)

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
My friend Alan Bonds built this for a town bike, and it is the sweetest thing I ever saw.

Frame is a Giant carbon-fibre, with Bontrager CF forks. Alan used an idler because it is a derailleur frame and there is no other way to tension the chain. He has a double front chainring, but no front mech, so he shifts by hand depending on where he is about to ride. Big ring in town, small ring for trails.

This bike is road bike light, about the same as my CF LeMond road bike. Maybe 21 pounds. It feels like a feather after hoisting my FS MTB.

Alan shared the house with me and Gary Fisher back in the Repack racing days, and builds beautiful classic "clunkers." See his website at clunkers.net.

Attachments

• Giant_04.jpg
    Giant_04.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,128
  • Giant_03.jpg
    Giant_03.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 1,128
  • Giant_02.jpg
    Giant_02.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 1,128
  • Giant_01.jpg
    Giant_01.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 1,128
Repack Rider":1gtse1b9 said:
Alan used an idler because it is a derailleur frame and there is no other way to tension the chain. He has a double front chainring, but no front mech, so he shifts by hand depending on where he is about to ride. Big ring in town, small ring for trails.

If he didn't need to change ring up the front, a half link chain will remove the need for a chain tensioner.

Pretty much all SSrs that i know have gone this option.

Sound very practical.

What's the chain line like when he runs the smaller ring, or does the tensioner move sideway a bit or something?

Back