1988/89 firemountain

perry

Retrobike Rider
00001-9.jpg

Since seeing unocogeros splatter firemountain this time last year I'd wanted an old splatter kona . About 6 months ago I got this one cheap and in black :cool: and pink spatter :cool: :cool: It's been sat around as a frame for months due to being slack at finding a suitable headset/stem and not riding for 4 months with a torn quadricep tendon ; amazingly non bike related but still made it difficult to walk or bend the knee . Got bored at the weekend when I realised I had most of the parts if I liberated a stem from a bike rusting in the garden and a headset from a crappy bike .

I didn't want to use parts specifically from the right period , just stuff that didn't look out of place , so lots of silver as it's fairly timeless in appearance and simple so doesn't grab the eye .

Rear brake is original ( and crap at being a brake :LOL: ) but seems to blend well with the 98 m600 lx front v and the lx cranks I've had since 2005 . hubs are dmr , simple shell and sealed bearings , what more do you really want from a hub ? and cheap as hell ; DT revolution spokes and new mavic ex721 rims with the stickers quickly removed for being awful . The rest is stuff I had lying around , the seat is original and huge :LOL: bars are inch and a half rise azonics , loads of elbow out sweep and it makes the axle to bar height the same as the other bikes .

Had a pedal about for the first time in 4 months earlier today and it rides brilliantly , although I'm not wide enough for that seat :LOL:

Wicked

Needs some slimmer cranks to match the period (cosmetically) but if it rides good then that's the most important thing :D

yeah cranks are always very visual on a bike , I'm trying to phase out square taper and I already had those . The chunkyness goes with the rear u brake but they are clearly a new crank .

The early Kona splatters are the best of the lot, i like what you've done with it. Nice one :)

Bet you're absolutely itching to get back out riding now

Back