1938 Fleet (Schwinn) C-model Klunker Project

Thanks

I have to say thanks for posting such a thourough thread about this. Much of the information here has been of value to me, especially the info about the bottom bracket, headset and seatpost. I am currently building a Mercury. Here is the progress thus far:
Started as a $25 dollar craigslist find:
IMG_0576.jpg

Mock up build to test fit prior to powder coat after cold setting the frame.
IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3847.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

Current status:
IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

Re: Thanks

sandmangts":3i101oin said:
IMock up build to test fit prior to powder coat after cold setting the frame.

IMG_1982.jpg

very nice especially this double sided bash :cool:

is it TA original stuff of machined ?
seems the TA ring is quite big - more than 46 teeth so its a big ring or middle one - was wondering why there were some holes so far out of the ring to fix the bash ?

The cranks are actually new TA copies by Electra. They are 42 tooth with the chainring being made by FSA. I got them prior to production from a bike show super cheap so I figured I would try them. I am building the wheels now. Araya 7x rims on Shimano Nexus 8 speed hub with a roller brake in the rear and Sturmey archer Drum brake up front. Skull Skates bmx cruiser bars with Magura moto style brake levers, Brooks saddle. Not sure how the gearing will pan out with the Nexus but it comes with 3 different cogs so I sure one of them will be a good match.

sandmangts":190ce1vf said:
The cranks are actually new TA copies by Electra. They are 42 tooth with the chainring being made by FSA. I got them prior to production from a bike show super cheap so I figured I would try them. I am building the wheels now. Araya 7x rims on Shimano Nexus 8 speed hub with a roller brake in the rear and Sturmey archer Drum brake up front. Skull Skates bmx cruiser bars with Magura moto style brake levers, Brooks saddle. Not sure how the gearing will pan out with the Nexus but it comes with 3 different cogs so I sure one of them will be a good match.

This is going to be awesome, and

Your kit sounds great :!:

Looking forward to comparing notes on the IGH's in the future. I'm going with a SA S80W on my '39, but probably won't get the wheels built for another few weeks...
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81547

sandmangts":363rq7xx said:
Finished it. I will post a new thread in readers rides. Rode it to work today.

Awesome. Looking forward to the ride report and a stand-alone thread so folks don't miss this fine ride! Great job!

New additions

Finally took the time to install some purchases from over the winter...

Scored an NOS Ashtabula Schwinn-stamped stem and a really nice black B72. The old B72 was brown and kinda saggy.

I mostly use this as a town/pub bike, but it sure is a grin!

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

Back