Ride the Clwyds - Over the top - 25/04/10

Easy_Rider

Retrobike Rider
OWMTBC Champ
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
EDIT: This has now turned into an RB Bimble.

Over The Top - Sunday 25th April

Meeting point:- Craft Centre car park, Ruthin, LL15 1BB
Time:- 10am for a 10:30am start.
Best bring some food as I didn't see anywhere suitable for lunch.
Route:- Over the Top
Map:- http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/ruthi ... 7201286725

Pace won't be too fast as Mrs E_R is building up her skills, so anyone who hasn't joned in before for fear of being slow or unfit then this is ideal!

The 34km route took us 5 hours including lunch and lots of map reading, but we know the route now.

----

After deciding I would like to go riding with Mrs E_R rather than join the tougher Ambleside because I'd already been out without her the last two meets, I chose a local route from the ride the Clwyds pages - Over the Top
http://www.mapmyride.com/route/gb/ruthi ... 7201286725

I was really impressed with this one, it's has a mix of everything, fire roads, B-roads, open and tight singletracks, grass descents, ruts, roots, 3 water crossings, forests, heather and sheep.
The downhill section was awesome, very fast, and at the bottom I noticed a considerable wobble in my rear wheel :LOL:

It was bone dry on this day so very fast indeed. I would recommend this for the calendar for sure! Maybe not as long as some would like, but there are certainly some very challenging climbs, and this route is called over the top because it takes you on the highest peak allowed by mountain bikes, and the summit is only a sprint away.

Some pictures from Saturdays ride.

overthetop_1.jpg

SNC13526.JPG

SNC13529.JPG

SNC13531.JPG

SNC13537.JPG

SNC13540.JPG

SNC13545.JPG

SNC13547.JPG

SNC13548.JPG

SNC13554.JPG

SNC13557.JPG

SNC13558.JPG

SNC13559.JPG

SNC13561.JPG

SNC13562.JPG

SNC13572.JPG

SNC13573.JPG

SNC13574.JPG

SNC13576.JPG

SNC13577.JPG

SNC13578.JPG

SNC13579.JPG

SNC13581.JPG

That looks like a brilliant ride E_R. How far is it altogether and how is it for pub or cafe stops?
Great photos.

EDIT: Found the link. 34km. Good distance for a group ride.

Suggested start/finish point has cafe and toilets and tesco opposite :roll:
Yep, 34km which is a good distance, with plenty of head down climbs.

Didn't see any pubs on route, but there will be some with a short diversion. Most of the ride is up in the Moel Famau Country Park so not many facilities. We took a packed lunch and ate it at the top with the view out to the Irish Sea.

Might be doing to ride again on Sunday (weather dependant), so will have a better look.

Looks great riding, if you and Mrs. E_R fancy hosting it as a RB bimble please go ahead. I'm sure many of us would join you and then Mr K could concentrate on riding and not map reading!

Hosting! That's sounds like far too much effort, I was merely doing some advance reckie work for possible future rides, but of course anyone wishing to join us on Sunday is more than welcome!
:D
Probably looking at a 10am meet, and more than likely packed lunch at the top.

Hosting a ride isn't half as difficult as you may think. All you need to do is work out a good route and then set a date, start a ride thread and invite along some Riders. Easy.
You could complicate matters by laminating maps, handing out stickers and baking flapjacks though.
Go on Easy_Rider you know want to.

Let us know if you need a hand. :D

Back