Kona Hot info wanted.

jez-2-many-bikes":ie4t6unn said:
This isnt Adam Gents Hot that he sold a while back? He had a stars and stripes Hot that he had redone at Argos?

Adams was a 96 and had the canti guide clamp on the seat tube as well as the correct decals for 96 (main Kona decal text is square type).

Paint and decals aside, from the photo, that is definitely a 97 Kona due to the cable routing. The drop outs and seat stay narrow it to a Hot or a Caldera frame. Thus the only way to tell the two apart (as this apparently been resprayed) is the frame number or detailed analysis of the metal in the main tubes ;)

The stars and bars paint was optional for 97 so lets hope its a rare hot frame rather than a Caldera in drag :)

All will be revealed when he gets back off his hol's.

What should the serial No resemble? KH***** for Hot, KC***** for Caldera etc?

Hot in 96 Catalogue

Here's the 96 Kona Hot from the Catalogue, as the catalogue is in poster form the fold goes accross the Hot.

Paint wise I think the Ku paint job is much better.

Attachments

• 96KonaKu.jpg
    96KonaKu.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 554
  • 96KonaHot.jpg
    96KonaHot.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 554
I prefer the Hot paintjob myself.

He sent me the frame serial number. The paint has obscured some of the numbers but the letters are clear. It seems apparent that it's a Hot from '96, perhaps it was a late one?

stevek":xqbrjkc5 said:
It seems apparent that it's a Hot from '96, perhaps it was a late one?

Late 96 would fit with being an early MY97 (model year 1997) frame from the cable routing. In a similar to the 2008 frames from various manufacturers which have been out for a month or two already....

Paint wise stars and stripes is very nice, but far too common compared to the jungle/plant/leaves on the Ku (crappy scan doesn't do the paint job justice), as well as being just a bit too "Team America" for my liking. ;)

Heheh, yeah, initially he wasn't over keen on the stars and bars but it's kinda grown on him. Common? Tut tut Andrew we prefer the word 'popular'. :LOL:

Back