Old Clockwork rebuild.

Right, a few pics.... and Anthony you're absolutely right. So much so that I'm considering asking Orange if they could match it as a truly custom colour!!

Right, pics as promised. Not been cleaned properly or anything yet...

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

I put the ones of the dropout and cable routing in as I think that although the frame number seems to indicate a 93 model, the dropouts look like the earlier style.
At least you can see the colour now - personally I much prefer the colour to the orange white fade you see everywhere... but that's only IMHO and I would guess that most people think otherwise judging ny the numbers sold...

Nick

Oooooo, that's very interesting! I'd say defo not a '93 with that groupset and the frame decals. Looks similar to my 1990 in frame design. Looks to be a very early one as I don't think full orange was offered anytime between 1990 and 1993. Decals are also different to most and of the design they usually put on early '90's black frames. Re-looking at the serial number it may be a March '89 bike? If I were you I'd just T-Cut the hell out of the frame as I think you've got an early bike in a rare colour on your hands. ;)

:shock: :cool:
Looks llike I'll have to dig out the original invoice then - I just had a thought and think I know where I tucked it away! When I picked up the bike from Tom Hargreaves Cycles in Colne I rode the Hope testbed which was funnily enough another Orange. The first disc brakes they were developing for bikes! I still remember the result of grabbing a big handful of brake going down the steep hill outside the shop when a car pulled out and going straight over the handlebars. Luckily I was agile and young back then and managed to leapfrog the bars and drag the bike down the road without dropping it. Might have been the first ever bike with disc brakes?
The pics don't really do it justice either. I looked at it in the garden as the sun was going down and it was almost glowing - almost fluoro in the way it stood out against the grass. I just wish I had the camera to hand but I was putting the kids to bed at the time....
Maybe you'll get the chance to see it in the flesh sometime as I'm only in Clitheroe and am going to try to get out on some rides at some point soon...
Nick

Lovely bike, reckon it's either a 90 or 91...keep it as it is, looks lush :)

Originally it had a black seatpost, which I swapped out because I needed a longer one. I would prefer to change it back if I can find a 26.8 one thats long enough. And I still hate that saddle!! Even if I put on an old flite one or one in keeping with the bike's age.
I've found my old docs but haven't go the invoice, my parents probably put it away. I do have however a little Membership Card for the 'O Rangers Club' for 1993, Membership number 296, so I guess they hadn't sold too many bikes when I bought it! I've still got the brochure too, looks like it hasn't seen the light of day since then. :)

Pictures of the brochure please as well :cool: A black seat pin would look better IMHO oh and yes a flight :D
Very nice

Loving this... like the saddle too :) :) , , highly recommend T-cut'ng it , use the coloured stuff for a while now and its really good :)

Be interesting to see this build progress..:)

Sithlord":3u3us4qn said:
Loving this... like the saddle too :) :) , , highly recommend T-cut'ng it , use the coloured stuff for a while now and its really good :)

Be interesting to see this build progress..:)

Hmm, I detect a hint of sarcasm.. :) The only thing that saddle has in its favour is originality! It started off black but over the years has faded to a horrible brown colour.

I think the frame is quite early. They must have used a different format for the serial numbers at that time from the one they used later.

It looks very similar to the frames pictured below, same cable routing, rear dropout, seatstay/seat tube junction etc. I haven't seen the block letters for the decals before though. I also show a photo of the only other early one I have in solid orange colour.

None of the dates is definite, just as believed by the owner, so I can't get you closer than 89 or 90.

Attachments

• 1990 or so Clockwork size 17.jpg
    1990 or so Clockwork size 17.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 676
  • 1990 Clockwork frame size 19 original condition 229 euro.jpg
    1990 Clockwork frame size 19 original condition 229 euro.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 676
  • 1989 Clockwork size 19.jpg
    1989 Clockwork size 19.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 676
  • 1989 or so Clockwork size 19.JPG
    1989 or so Clockwork size 19.JPG